Two S400f rifles different results

no avatar
Ken G

Two S400f rifles different results

Mon May 11, 2015 4:05 pm

My wife and I started shooting last December both have S400f classic which were purchased new, from day 1 my wife has had better results than me :x which has been frustrating to say the least. She can get single hole groupings (size of a pellet) on average 1 in 5 targets 5 pellet groups at 20m. Ihave only managed this once in the same period of time. So last week I put her scope on my gun and she used that for three sessions, to my dismay she could not achieve the same results and her efforts were similar to my own which are normally clover leaf shaped under 5 pence piece. My gun has a 12fps shot difference over a 10 shot string from 150 bar, the only other difference is that mine produces 10.4 ft/lbs and hers 11.4 ft/lb with AA field 4.52. I have tried repeatedly to get hold of Air Arms on the phone but as yet to no avail. Question is should I expect better results or will Air Arms view the groupings of my gun to be acceptable.
Your views please.

raygun

Re: Two S400f rifles different results

Mon May 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Why swap the scopes ?

Why not just shoot each others rifle to see what results are given. From what you have posted I can't tell whether it's one of the rifles with a problem, one of the scopes or the shooter.

ATB
Ray.

roadrunner

Mon May 11, 2015 5:06 pm

I think youve probably answered the question regarding accuracy with the scope swop,i wouldnt worry to much about a 12 fps spread, much of that will be in pellet variations, i would however be concerned with 10.4 flb energy, new it should be around 11 flb then usually the action and barrel will bed in and power will rise to 11.5 ish so you have 0.5 flb spare for differant pellets and weights

no avatar
Ken G

Mon May 11, 2015 7:25 pm

raygun wrote:Why swap the scopes ?

Why not just shoot each others rifle to see what results are given. From what you have posted I can't tell whether it's one of the rifles with a problem, one of the scopes or the shooter.

ATB
Ray.

Swopped scopes as I have a mamba lite and the mrs has a hawke panorama, so thought it best for her to use what she is used to.

no avatar
Ken G

Mon May 11, 2015 7:28 pm

roadrunner wrote:I think youve probably answered the question regarding accuracy with the scope swop,i wouldnt worry to much about a 12 fps spread, much of that will be in pellet variations, i would however be concerned with 10.4 flb energy, new it should be around 11 flb then usually the action and barrel will bed in and power will rise to 11.5 ish so you have 0.5 flb spare for differant pellets and weights

Would have tried matching power but unfortunately it is fitted with anti-tamper.

roadrunner

Tue May 12, 2015 6:56 pm

Well its the future iam afraid, i hate anti tamper but my s400 had to be detuned just before its warranty ran out which was done foc by the selling dealer,my prosport which is my favoured rifle can be stripped and its power adjusted in minutes at home with no cost involved now thats the real future
the other thing to watch is barrel fouling, my 400 fouls its barrel every 200 shots and groups open up wildly,my mate's 400 has never had its barrel cleaned and hits pound coins at 50 yards

no avatar
Ken G

Tue May 12, 2015 7:10 pm

roadrunner wrote:Well its the future iam afraid, i hate anti tamper but my s400 had to be detuned just before its warranty ran out which was done foc by the selling dealer,my prosport which is my favoured rifle can be stripped and its power adjusted in minutes at home with no cost involved now thats the real future
the other thing to watch is barrel fouling, my 400 fouls its barrel every 200 shots and groups open up wildly,my mate's 400 has never had its barrel cleaned and hits pound coins at 50 yards

To be honest I bought a pro sport a couple of weeks ago and since then its the only gun I use, in two minds as to if I will keep the S400, but want it sorted as I would not want to move it on if its not working as well as I would like. On another note I rang air arms technical today and they could not have been more helpful so if I cant sort it I will send it off to them.

roadrunner

Tue May 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Truth be known i pick up the prosport 90% of the time,once mastered it delivers pcp accuracy without running out of air,there are times though when i could throw it in the bushes but its me at fault not the gun and thats what i like, it comands your full attention to get the best results and hunting with it is 100 times better