A lovely but insanely frustrating evening

no avatar
devonhunter

A lovely but insanely frustrating evening

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:04 pm

At 5:30 ish I went out after I cleaned my barrel with my new Q-tec mod from AA and SuperFields combo to zero up, I Don't know what it is but the SuperFields And Q-tec are very low trajectory setup if you see what I mean.

I zeroes and was happy and stared he walk to my squirrel feeder, in the ivy trees Behind the paddocks they're where a few pigeon, so I stalked up close enough and aimed up on a nice woody at about 30 yard. But those bloody stick got the better of me and I walked on only to find that there where 3 more woodies sat in the trees (very quiet moderator would recommend to anyone) but they all flew out due to my clumsiness.

But after a 15 min walk uphill e fields to the chestnuts and my feeder I was welcomed to a squirrel on the feeder at 20 yards so I line up and took the shot, with a good lead to head sound I was certain of a good kill so left him there so I did not disturb the area.

After another 40 mins I left the feeder and picked up my squirrel so I could go or a wander around the rabbity fields, I saw 4 rabbits in the first area, 3 kits and 1 large buck I think, I tried to stalk toward the buck but he scarpered so I moved on as I don't shoot the kits around us as our rabbit population is appalling. Moved on the the second best place and stalked a lovely clean rabbit till I was around 35 yards. Squeezed of the trigger and sent the SuperField straight into his head, lovely I ran over as I knew he was near his hole only to find that he was kicking around in the bottom!! So I put my rifle down and tried to grab him but it was too late and the bugger had gone down all the way so that made me a bit hacked off.

Only to find that in my flurry of trying to get my rabbit the bloody gun had fallen over from the bipod and was way out of zero!!! :x :( After I recovered from my anger and frustration in my self I rezeroed the gun and moved on to rabbit field number 3

I came around the corner very slowly and couldn't see a single rabbit in sight so I stood up and walked on home, only for a nice rabbit to pop up 10 yards away! He ran down the field 30 yards and stopped so I freehanded the shot and thought to myself I will give it 1 Mildot just to be on the safe side as after the shot I smashed the pellet straight into the post behind! :shock: I was fuming with my self so I stomped off home with just one squirrel.
AA S410 .22 LH walnut stock MTC viper 10x44 harris 1A2-H bipod

Blackbaronfish

Re: A lovely but insanely frustrating evening

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 pm

You really did have butter fingers tonight. It made a good read though :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
devonhunter

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:26 pm

:D I don't often write up a evening hunt but when I do make it worthwhile, yeah my stupidity got the better of me :lol: :roll:

no avatar
chrismdd

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Nice honest write-up, sessions like this just make us appreciate the ones that go according to plan. I remember getting a new side-by-side 12 bore for my 15th birthday and I was out with a mate shooting on his farm a week later and I leant it against a metal gate only for it to slide down the rail and slam into the diagonal crossmember with enough force to put a noticeable bulge on the inside of the barrell :cry:

Raj

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:28 pm

I remember digging for one in the early days of my hunting. I was so sure it was kill shot that I kept digging with a mini spade that my mate had in his car for digging out of snow etc. In the end after an hour or so if frustration, loads of sweat and some root cutting with the saw on a swiss army knife, we 'saw' him ... dead alright ... by taking a photo round a corner in the pitch dark burrow with a smart phone and flash.
We left him :oops:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Blackbaronfish

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:32 am

Raj wrote:I remember digging for one in the early days of my hunting. I was so sure it was kill shot that I kept digging with a mini spade that my mate had in his car for digging out of snow etc. In the end after an hour or so if frustration, loads of sweat and some root cutting with the saw on a swiss army knife, we 'saw' him ... dead alright ... by taking a photo round a corner in the pitch dark burrow with a smart phone and flash.
We left him :oops:

The rest of them would have pull it out into the open and the fox would have cleared it away.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
devonhunter

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:48 am

Do the other rabbits pull it out?

Raj

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:51 pm

The maggots will pull it out .... in bits. :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
granville

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:18 pm

not good when you get them nights .
i have had a good few .

Blackbaronfish

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:05 am

devonhunter wrote:Do the other rabbits pull it out?

I have seen two rabbits one pulling and the other dragging a dead rabbit out of a hole. And no it wasn't on my permission :o

BBF