beech stock /QD stud hole

no avatar
tapps

beech stock /QD stud hole

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

i got a 2nd hand beech stock from a well known auction site, it looks in good condition considering it's 2nd hand,it had QD STUD'S already fitted !!! when i attached my harris bipod, it wouldn't tighten up properly & the stud started to pull out of the pre drilled hole, looks like they used the wrong size drill bit, the rear stud's fine, can you get a slightly OVER SIZED threaded stud,if so it'll be handy, or would you attempt to glue it into place with something like ARALDITE RAPID.i paid £66.70 posted.

no avatar
Roger5

Re: beech stock /QD stud hole

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:33 pm

You can buy threaded studs, and then you can use a nut from the inside of the stock
I certainly wouldn't be trusting araldite
I've done this before on A/A stocks and it worked ok

no avatar
tapps

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:52 pm

Roger5 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:33 pm
You can buy threaded studs, and then you can use a nut from the inside of the stock
I certainly wouldn't be trusting araldite
I've done this before on A/A stocks and it worked ok
can you tell me where to get one from, can you send me a link.thank's

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:54 am

Have a look at ant supplies
Couple of quid , but more secure than any glue

Raj

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:45 pm

Roger is right. I wouldnt mess with Araldite which might let you down when you least expect it. If you go down the route suggested, you can cut the machine screw stud to the right length. Also, counterbore the stock from the inside so the nut doesnt interfere with anything. You could stick to the same damaged hole too so no further holes in the stock.

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/gun-sling-f ... studs.html

“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
tapps

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

i noticed on the inside of the stock where the cylinder sits there was epoxy glue covering the hole where the QD STUD was fitted, inside the stock, look's to me like he was heavy handed and gone straight through, i hope he had sense to remove the action/cylinder prior to drilling the hole,i cleaned the glue off, filled the existing hole with araldite rapid, drilled a fresh hole about 1cm down the stock, screwed in the QD STUD, all sorted, happy with the finished result.