New Pro-Sport .22 seems low-powered

ProSport Shooter

New Pro-Sport .22 seems low-powered

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:01 am

Hello Everyone. This is my first post on the forum.

I have a new Pro-Sport in .22 calibre. I'm on my third box of pellets, two boxes of JSB Exact and now Air Arms Diabolo Field.

After the first 100 pellets, I chronographed the gun at 10.6 ft/lb. I felt that was a bit low, but presumed it would improve as the gun was run-in and leaded.

1000 pellets later, I chronographed the rifle again with the Air Arms Diabolo 5.52 pellets, which are a tighter fit than the JSBs. The muzzle power measured even lower, at just 9.7

Am I worrying unnecessarily or is there something wrong with my Pro-Sport? It seems a long way off the 12 ft/lb limit which I had expected to be close to with a gun of this size.
Air Arms Pro-Sport .22 cal walnut stock (2019), BSA Supersport .177 cal (1997). Location: West London, England.

no avatar
tonyc

Re: New Pro-Sport .22 seems low-powered

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 pm

10.6ft lb is not exceptionally low. My TX200HC started at a similar level but increased to 11.0-11.2 and it's shooting well at that level. You might try some different batches/dies, also in 5.51mm. I don't have a Pro-Sport but my TXs' power vary with weight and head size. You can't rely on the stated head size so it's a matter of trial and error. I find a loose(ish) fit usually gives the best results but the highest power (with pellets too loose a fit) are not usually the best groups. If you find the power is still low I'd get it checked under warranty. Others may say it's easy enough to adjust but, as a matter of principle, I'd take it back just to make the point that mid-10s is not acceptable.

ProSport Shooter

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks Tony. I'll keep it under review for a bit then, while I try different pellets, and possibly return it for repair if power doesn't improve.
Air Arms Pro-Sport .22 cal walnut stock (2019), BSA Supersport .177 cal (1997). Location: West London, England.

no avatar
tonyc

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Just one further thought: if you want to test several batches without buying full tins, and can't beg any from other shooters, try Pellet Perfect. They sell samples - in multiples of 25 pellets - and can probably supply several die numbers. You need to ask them to let you have the batch numbers.