Prosport shroud

no avatar
josh3rd

Prosport shroud

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:23 pm

I have a 11.9ft/lb 177cal prosport. Today my shroud end cap of my came out and the 1st baffle looked very close to the edge of the shroud about an inch away.. I tapped it back both back in and now it seems like my accuracy went to crap. Is there a preferred depth of the beginning of the baffles and how far should the end cap go in? Im in the US and I have a HFT match Saturday so your help is needed quickly. You can email me to if you wish. jwsmith3rd@yahoo.com. thank you

no avatar
FPoole

Re: Prosport shroud

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:57 am

Been a long time, but I think the black colored end baffle is just a tiny bit inset. Maybe 1/16" or so. My old .177 Pro Elite blew out the first and second baffle, so I cleaned the inside of the shroud with some mineral spirits and then put a small dab of super glue on the end baffle. They never came out again. As far as the accuracy, get a bright light and look in there to see if something else is in the way of the pellets exit. A sliver of plastic or something, who knows.

no avatar
josh3rd

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks FPoole.

Well found out what the noise was...i finally had the balls to remove the prosport baffles. After I took the 1st 4 out, the last one fell free out the shroud.They were 5 of em and all they are is grey colored end caps...literally. They look just like the end cap. I with the verbal guidance help of White Fang, put scotch tape around the loose one, pushed it all the way down to the tip of the actual barrel. There is nothing in there to keep it above the muzzle aside from its diameter. They basically look like a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom. Im going to check its accuracy now and will get back to everyone. And im sorry but I dont remember the length and width of them even though I measured em. Sorry

I just need to find out how far I should pushed them down. Like are they supposed to be pushed against muzzle or not.

Well I got things situated with the shroud, baffles and the seating depth from Steve (Nitrocrushr)and ran out of AA8.4 (preferred pellet) and tried the jsb 8.4's 4.52mm. Well its safe to say that jsb 8.4's are not equivalent nor accurate as the AA's 8.4's. I know that they're not the same as some people believe and I already know. Maybe just a loose batch or what have you but they aren't for me and mine. But on another note the jsb 7.87's are performing quite well as of now. I just hope its not too windy at DCFS tomorrow. And to add salt to my wound, I have to make up another dope/drop or poi sheet for these. I swear I cant win lol. Whitefang and nitrocrushr are good people who I had the pleasure of talking too and I am not forgetting those who replied with positive and informative responses to my post. I know I am a PITA when it comes to these issues of me and my prosport but please understand I am greatly appreciative. Oh yeah those "dang" brown box of cp lites are doing well too. One more thing...these 8.4 jsb's are up for trade for some AA 8.4 or the jsb 8.4 in 4.53mm. I have some other brands & calibers as well. I'm in the U.S.

no avatar
FPoole

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:06 am

The baffles are exactly the same as the Pro Elite break barrel were. Glad we finally found the noise and I figured you would as soon as I read the new post about the baffles coming out. I would push them in just far enough to get the next one in and so on until i was down the the black one. I'm not sure how hard the whole stack will be to press in, but I would assume this was how they were installed by AA. A drop of super glue worked wonders on my 20 ft. lb. .177 Pro Elite. As for the pellets, the lead in the AA is said to be a different formulation and that AA has their own dies that JSB uses, but I've had good batches of each and bad batches of each. My current Exacts are die#7 and are pretty good in at least one of my TX's. When they are gone I'll have to do the pellet search all over again. My first JSB's were the old gray label ones that I bought from Tim Johnston in Texas, I think. It was back around 2002 and they were brilliant. They were $30 a sleeve and I should have bought the whole pallet load in hindsight. If your gun likes the pellets you now have, you should buy as many of that die# as you can afford.

no avatar
josh3rd

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:37 am

A friend down in Maryland have me a tin awhile ago of the grey label jsb's in 22cal and you are right...they were superbly better than the reds that they have now IMO. I just got a handful of jsb 4.53's and some AA Fields (her preferred pellet) from some buddies after the shoot yesterday and the 4.53 they are not bad but the AA's still shine over em. I will not make the mistake again of jumping from pellett to pellet nor will I run out. I know she likes AA's and that's what will be bought in bulk lol

no avatar
tonyc

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:57 pm

josh3rd wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:56 pm
Well its safe to say that jsb 8.4's are not equivalent nor accurate as the AA's 8.4's. I know that they're not the same as some people believe and I already know. Maybe just a loose batch or what have you but they aren't for me and mine. But on another note the jsb 7.87's are performing quite well as of now....

One more thing...these 8.4 jsb's are up for trade for some AA 8.4 or the jsb 8.4 in 4.53mm. I have some other brands & calibers as well. I'm in the U.S.
With any JSB-manufactured pellet (including AA branded) you need to go by the die number as there are substantial dimensional differences between different dies... and you can't rely on quoted size either. Variations are small within a batch and between batches made using the same die.

no avatar
josh3rd

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:01 pm

oh so true tonyc