Heavy rust on old airgun

pedro.m.reis

Heavy rust on old airgun

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi all

I was offered an old Diana mod. 25. The mechanics and interiors are ok but the outside has some parts covered in heavy rust.
Is this salvageable?
How do I get the rust out?
What do I put afterwards to prevent it? keep it simple please :)
And anyone knows a place where I can buy a set of sights (front and rear) for it that does not cost more than a new rifle? :)

tks
TX200 Mk3
HW50
Diana mod. 25 (being rebuild)

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Heavy rust on old airgun

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:22 pm

pedro.m.reis wrote:Hi all

I was offered an old Diana mod. 25. The mechanics and interiors are ok but the outside has some parts covered in heavy rust.
Is this salvageable?...... it depends on how bad it is and what do you want the rifle too look like in the end.
How do I get the rust out?........ you can try using wire wool too start but there are liquids available too help with the rust removal there are videos on you tube too show you how.
What do I put afterwards to prevent it? keep it simple please :) you can buy Birchwood Casey perma blue or similar too restore bluing then too keep it clean oil it after every use
And anyone knows a place where I can buy a set of sights (front and rear) for it that does not cost more than a new rifle? :).....cant help with that one but a search on the internet won't hurt.

tks
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

pedro.m.reis

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:09 pm

I have to find myself a laser :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M

The problem with youtube is that all the products that I see there are unavailable in Portugal. Except vinegar, I think I will try that.
Is Birchwood Casey perma blue identical to Bisley blueing stuff? That (bisley) I can get here.
TX200 Mk3
HW50

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:29 pm

I think the bisley blue is more for touching up small areas.
It may be that wire wool is the direction you need to go in.
S200. .177

pedro.m.reis

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:39 pm

eboswan wrote:I think the bisley blue is more for touching up small areas.
It may be that wire wool is the direction you need to go in.

Will try the wool. But there are spots that i may need something more aggressive to take the rust out, it's really heavy in some parts.
TX200 Mk3
HW50

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:55 pm

You may have too except some pitting I'm afraid ,you can get hammerite rust remover gel which you could try on the really bad areas only.
S200. .177

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:56 pm

S200. .177

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:03 pm

Yes I agree use fine 0000 wire wool and any acid rust remover (Jenolite used to be best but I expect someone in F***ing EU banned it). If this thing is really heavily rusted the idea is to get down to silver metal and have it as shiny as possible even using metal polish. Then you can use a gel method that I describe in the link below.
The secret is to have some worn out scotchbrite plastic scouring material - not new out of the box but the stuff that the wife has used for a week in the kitchen sink. Using this slightly rough applicator his will avoid a lot of smears and patches on larger areas. Take heed of the degreasing and the immediate oiling afterwards - it really does help cure the blue.
You will never get a factory finish without using the american browning materials, humidity cabinets and several days processing, but this simple method will give a reasonably good looking job that is much better than red rust. Make sure you seal up the barrel etc.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=65qCZ9iJl4k

no avatar
wastrel

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:49 am

OK, let`s take this one question at a time-
you`ve been offered a Diana model 25 which is covered in rust, rust or no rust, I`d run a mile! modern air rifles are so far advanced from this I wouldn`t spend a penny or waste a second in effort!
how do you get the rust out- you buff the dam thing (if you`re determined to waste money & effort!)
AAAAnd sights!!! if someone is offering to sell you an old rusty rifle that has no sights! guys, I know we`re the AAOC but, is it just me?
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:40 am

Si does it matter its his time and money he has asked for help and advice and in the spirit of the aaoc that is what he will receive.
It could well be a project too far but...... It's his project.
S200. .177