s400f barrel leak update

no avatar
retroruss

s400f barrel leak update

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:46 pm

So today i removed the barrel which had been leaking from the breech on firing.
as i carefully eased the barrel out these 2 o-rings fell out, reading up on this subject before removing
the barrel i was not expecting to see any o-rings. and these 2 o-rings look like they’ve been cut down to fit maybe ?
anyone else ever seen this ?

no avatar
Cantankerous One

Re: s400f barrel leak update

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Julian says they are part no S650A and are only fitted when AA find the barrel fit in a rifle too loose. They were fitted in my S400F too which blew from the breech seal. I got a replacement from Julian.

Hope this helps
EV2 Mk4 .177
TX200 Mk3 .177
TX200SR Mk1 .177
Ultimate Sporter (R) .177
HW100T .177
HW100BP .177

no avatar
retroruss

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:45 pm

just spoke with Julian he's supplying me with new seals apparently they're fitted to rifles with loose fitting barrels.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Cantankerous One wrote:...and are only fitted when AA find the barrel fit in a rifle too loose....

Piss poor engineering. Sorry but that is just not on at that price. Barrel or block should have been scrapped or undersized barrel reworked with a metal spray welder and ground back to size.
Or design it for o rings and fit them to all.

no avatar
retroruss

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Cantankerous One wrote:...and are only fitted when AA find the barrel fit in a rifle too loose....

thanks, did this solve the problem and what method did you use to fit them/ push the barrel in did you use any lube eg rubber grease etc .
i'm a bit puzzled to how the seals ended up split its only a month old was it done during assembly maybe

Piss poor engineering. Sorry but that is just not on at that price. Barrel or block should have been scrapped or undersized barrel reworked with a metal spray welder and ground back to size.
Or design it for o rings and fit them to all.
Cantankerous One wrote:Julian says they are part no S650A and are only fitted when AA find the barrel fit in a rifle too loose. They were fitted in my S400F too which blew from the breech seal. I got a replacement from Julian.

Hope this helps

i agree it seems a bit of a lottery or Russian roulette when buying a brand new quality rifle these days, i always stayed away from buying second hand rifles for that reason.

in future i will shoot the sh*t out of any new rifle i buy the same day i buy it and take it straight back if there’s the slightest problem, lesson learnt :oops: .

no avatar
retroruss

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Cantankerous One wrote:Julian says they are part no S650A and are only fitted when AA find the barrel fit in a rifle too loose. They were fitted in my S400F too which blew from the breech seal. I got a replacement from Julian.

Hope this helps

thanks, don’t know what went wrong with the post above anyway did the new seals solve the problem ? and what method did you use to fit them/ push the barrel in did you use any lube eg rubber grease etc .
I’m a bit puzzled to how the seals ended up split its only a month old was it done during assembly maybe

no avatar
Cantankerous One

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:24 pm

[quote/]thanks, don’t know what went wrong with the post above anyway did the new seals solve the problem ? and what method did you use to fit them/ push the barrel in did you use any lube eg rubber grease etc .
I’m a bit puzzled to how the seals ended up split its only a month old was it done during assembly maybe[/quote]

As my original problem was blowing from the between the top of the breech seal and the probe I suspected that this was caused by the breech seal holder being too high in relation to the probe so I replaced both probe and breech seal holder.

The S650A seals fit in the groove on the outside of the breech seal holder and (I presume) on the barrel in the groove formed between the barrel and the end of the seal holder. I was only aware of the one which was fitted in the groove on the outside of the breech seal holder itself - so only replaced that one. Julian said to use plenty of silicone grease to ease fitment. After removing the old breech seal holder I coated the portion of the barrel which fitted into the holder with loctite, inserted the barrel into the holder (ensuring that it was in its original orientation) and wiped away any excess. I also tightened the top barrel grub screws very lightly following Julian's advice. However replacing the breech seal holder and the S650A seal didn't work as I ended up with very bad leaks not just from between the top of the breech seal and the probe (my original problem) but also rearwards from around the breech seal housing and also forwards where the barrel itself enters the bolt housing. It was obvious that air was leaking into the bolt housing from either the holes in the breech seal holder or the joint between the holder and the barrel.

So I removed the barrel to find that the new seal had actually split. I binned it and ended up "simply" wrapping a few layers of PTFE tape around the breech seal holder and the barrel almost to where it exits the bolt housing before coating in silicone grease and refitting. Then with the barrel refitted into the bolt housing (it was now a very tight push fit) I used a cocktail stick to delicately remove any PTFE tape from the transfer port hole and then to apply loctite into the transfer port hole in the bolt housing in the hope that it would seal any gap between the transfer port hole in the bolt housing and that in the breech seal holder. I took care not to get any past the transfer port hole in the breech seal holder and therefore into the breech itself. I had already added loctite to the hole in the breech seal holder adjacent to the transfer port hole prior to refitting the barrel assembly into the bolt housing.

As simply replacing probe, seal holder and the S650A o ring hadn't stopped the breech seal/probe leak, and despite Julian's advice not to (as overtightening the one nearest the breech could actually deform the brass breach seal holder) - with heart in mouth I tightened down both top barrel grub screws (sorry Julian) to push the barrel and breech seal holder as far down as possible. Though I now knew it was a risky thing to do I figured that if it did deform I'd just get another breech seal holder from Julian 8-)

The result of all this? NO LEAKS AT ALL :D - I still can't quite believe it. :shock:

And fingers crossed that it stays that way - I only did it yesterday - if not I've got a pretty good idea of what I need to do again :roll:

(I've only had my 2013 S400F for a few weeks and it's been blowing from the breech seal since I got it. I'd already replaced the breech seal a few times without success and if this attempt to sort it didn't work I was going to get shut. The experience of this, my first venture towards the "dark side", caused me to lose faith in AAs so I was looking at px'ing it for an 177 HW110. I'd have done so by now but BAR are out of stock of them at the moment. However I don't like to be beaten so persevered with the S400 - luckily)
EV2 Mk4 .177
TX200 Mk3 .177
TX200SR Mk1 .177
HW100T .177
HW100BP .177

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 pm

So what if you have a loose-ish barrel with no brass collar? PTFE tape or Loctite?

no avatar
Cantankerous One

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:38 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:So what if you have a loose-ish barrel with no brass collar? PTFE tape or Loctite?

If you are asking me I will have to pass I'm afraid - all I can suggest is that you put the question to Julian
EV2 Mk4 .177
TX200 Mk3 .177
TX200SR Mk1 .177
HW100T .177
HW100BP .177

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:48 pm

Don't worry it was pure rhetoric :twisted: