s400 and regulators

no avatar
Chris79

s400 and regulators

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:08 am

Hi everyone I just got a brand new s400f superlite and I'm relatively new to pcp's, I do notice that if I fill it to 190bar the power level is not that high until about the 160 150 bar mark which is a few wasted pellets so I'm wondering if its worth fitting a regulator to maintain a constant pressure, if so can anyone reccomend a suitable regulator please?, I have seen a robert lane lancet kit on ebay but as I'm not familiar with them I don't know if this would be the right thing to do, I want consistent power levels as I'm into target shooting. Thanks for any advice!

Blackbaronfish

Re: s400 and regulators

Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:47 am

Most 400 and 500 series pcp will have the sweet spot from 170 down to 100 . have a look on the net for Robert Lane regulators as he has a video explaining what you can expect from a reg.
As you have found,filling to 190 will only cause high pressure pushing too hard on the valve. Once you have released some pressure the hammer spring will be able to fully open the said valve.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:17 am

Also I think I would let it run in for a bit before deciding to go the Regulator route as it does entail drilling a hole in your nice new cylinder.

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:45 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:Also I think I would let it run in for a bit before deciding to go the Regulator route as it does entail drilling a hole in your nice new cylinder.

Not if you use an Altaros reg, no need to drill your cylinder for one of these, so you can go back and take it out if not happy later, or put it in another gun even. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Roger5 wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:Also I think I would let it run in for a bit before deciding to go the Regulator route as it does entail drilling a hole in your nice new cylinder.

Not if you use an Altaros reg, no need to drill your cylinder for one of these, so you can go back and take it out if not happy later, or put it in another gun even. Rog

Ok good to know. Thx.

no avatar
Chris79

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:18 am

Thanks for the advice! Given my circumstances I don't fancy drilling a hole in my brand new s400 so the altaros reg would probably suit me better, does anyone have any experience with the altaros version please?

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:09 am

Chris79 wrote:Thanks for the advice! Given my circumstances I don't fancy drilling a hole in my brand new s400 so the altaros reg would probably suit me better, does anyone have any experience with the altaros version please?

As yours is brand new you will have to remove all the antitamper measures that A/A put in to stop you fiddling, once you have done this you will find that trying to remove the air cylinder will require a blow lamp to melt the Loctite they use to hold it together, if you can do all of this without to many tears, fitting the Altaros reg is a doddle. Fitting the Lane reg is exactly the same but you have to drill hole in cylinder, as it is new it might pay you not to play with it until the warranty runs out, do what most users do, fill it to about 165bar and see how you get on with it, my S400 isn't Regd and to be honest it doesn't need it, I am fitting one in an S510 at present, and the power was very low after fitting, so it's out again, and am adjusting again, but I think it will be ok once sorted, so up to you, there's loads of stuff on youtube to show you how to do it good luck. Rog

no avatar
Chris79

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks Rodger!, I'm pretty mechanically minded (mechanic by trade) and have customised and regularly rebuild fiddle and tweak my other rifle and pistol but I am going to wait till the years warranty runs out before I do anything to it so I'm just doing plenty of research and building an info stash on my laptop for the s400 in the meantime while enjoying it at the range, I used my mates chrono yesterday for about a 20 shot string from 145ish to 130ish and its putting out approximately 11.05/11.09ftlb, 770/768fps consistently with AA diablo field 4.52mm's so im quite happy with that as the rifles only 2 weeks out of the box. I hate the built in pressure gauge though its far too blank it needs more graduations so you can actually read what pressure its at instead of guessing if its 140 or 130 or 135 bar :(

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Keep an eye on the higher 11.9ftlb it may creep up as the rifle beds in/leads up.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Chris79 wrote:Thanks Rodger!, I'm pretty mechanically minded (mechanic by trade) and have customised and regularly rebuild fiddle and tweak my other rifle and pistol but I am going to wait till the years warranty runs out before I do anything to it so I'm just doing plenty of research and building an info stash on my laptop for the s400 in the meantime while enjoying it at the range, I used my mates chrono yesterday for about a 20 shot string from 145ish to 130ish and its putting out approximately 11.05/11.09ftlb, 770/768fps consistently with AA diablo field 4.52mm's so im quite happy with that as the rifles only 2 weeks out of the box. I hate the built in pressure gauge though its far too blank it needs more graduations so you can actually read what pressure its at instead of guessing if its 140 or 130 or 135 bar :(

Don't bother with gauge on rifle, they are not that accurate, always use gauge on your air bottle, and once it's regd it will only read the reg pressure unless of course you change the filler to an Altaros one, more fun. Rog