Loch humphrey & the power of nature (again)

no avatar
wastrel

Loch humphrey & the power of nature (again)

Mon May 02, 2016 5:27 pm

so me `n the gaffer took the dogs to Loch Humphrey, in the Kilpatrick hills, around a 500m climb & through some heavy showers, the river clyde is one huge wind tunnel but my Carhartt simply laughed at the incessant wind blast, definitely worth it for the views,
behind the gaffer (& well below us) is the river clyde
a walk around once up there I noticed what was basically a hole in the trees, around a dozen trees had been `topped` or just plain torn off leaving a couple of feet of trunk behind, then, as I looked across the loch I saw dozens of trees flattened almost like a crash site but no wreckage or fire damage on the opposite bank, it had to be a blast of wind, but what kind of wind blast halfs trees in two & can flatten dozens like a meteorite had landed?
I can`t get my pictures to display larger in photobucket but maybe if you click the image it may give you a much larger view, I can, but then, it`s my account, but the image of the destruction is awesome!
Last edited by wastrel on Sun May 15, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Sake-san

Re: Loch humphrey & the power of nature

Mon May 02, 2016 8:13 pm

Super photos Wastrel, thank you for sharing them, making me a wee bit homesick for the bits further north ;)
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
gary martin

Mon May 02, 2016 8:56 pm

thanks for sharing. not an area of Scotland that i have explored, always been for the bigger better known hills, but without the tranquil nature your photos portray. bigger not always better.

Sake-san

Wed May 04, 2016 6:06 pm

This has triggered me getting out all my old maps from my munro bagging days, very happy memories indeed, driving up through Friday evening & night and back down through Sunday night with little attention to the Monday lectures... happy days.
Thanks for sharing Wastrel.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
wastrel

Re: Loch humphrey & the power of nature (again)

Sun May 15, 2016 4:44 pm

last year me, my wife & son walked part of the John Muir way & I posted pics saying I was worried members may be bored cos their not shooting pics but members posted to carry on, so, we went back to Loch Humphrey again today, but, discovered it could be done as a circular route down past
`The Crags` in Dumbarton where we`d walked before (& I posted pics), we were spoiled by the kids wanting to join us so, the four of us + dogs, 5 hrs, enjoy--
this is above Old Kilpatrick, Dalmuir in the background & just about make out Glasgow, it`s very steep at this point but, there`s pensioners running up & down it -I`m not kidding (ok, the lifelong hardcore outdoor runners, but, pensioners still) so, no biggie even if it is a bit of a drag to start off with-
after a 40 minute stroll, this is Loch Humphrey behind us
my new Sony RX100 really showing off here
next is the image I tried to describe above of where the wind flattened the woods across the loch, I hope this shows better this time, the damage is astonishing
I thought the logs would make for an interesting backdrop
Lee & sox posing
Sarah & misty were not to be outdone
I thought the positioning here would be interesting & different, clyde estuary in background, Sarah reckons they just look like a sullen rock group :lol: !
not to be outdone meself, ahem!
righto, hope you liked them, cider for me, I know I earned it!
Last edited by wastrel on Mon May 16, 2016 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
gary martin

Sun May 15, 2016 6:26 pm

keep it up Si, nice to see.
Gary.

no avatar
wastrel

Sun May 15, 2016 6:58 pm

gary martin wrote:keep it up Si, nice to see.
Gary.

thanks Gary, we`re not `hillwalkers` by any stretch, but, maybe ramblers would be closer, just great to have the four of us for a change, Sarah 23 & Lee 21 both uni students have their own lives now, just a great time to have them both with us for a fantastic day out.
happy to share with AAOC.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
neil

Sun May 15, 2016 7:15 pm

one thing people forget is the uk has one of the highest tornado rates in the world due to the gulf stream and the cold atlantic mixing just off our coast, fortunately only small ones but one shoot I've got has a small wood in the middle of a field, looks like someones bowled a huge ten pin ball through it, about 8 trees down in a perfect line!

Raj

Sun May 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Hallelujah !!! He lives :) :) :) Great to hear from you again, Neil 8-)

And, Sy ... those are cracking photos, mate. You are blessed with a great location, a lovely family and a nice camera 8-) 8-) :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
wastrel

Mon May 16, 2016 3:55 pm

Raj wrote:Hallelujah !!! He lives :) :) :) Great to hear from you again, Neil 8-)

And, Sy ... those are cracking photos, mate. You are blessed with a great location, a lovely family and a nice camera 8-) 8-) :)

Thanks Raj appreciate that.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member