Pro-Sport, " Tuning"

no avatar
shy talk

Pro-Sport, " Tuning"

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:56 am

Can anyone tell me if there are any "Tuners" in Lancashire. I have been told to go to Sandwell Field Sports,and ask for Tony Wall, but that is a journey of well over 100 miles, or a round trip of over 200 miles, so I think I will give it a miss. Thanks in advance, shy talk

roadrunner

Re: Pro-Sport, " Tuning"

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:13 pm

I think Tony wall has said on record there isnt much to be done tuning a prosport ive messed around with mine and not really acheived much better than stock, i'd speak to tony first as he has good reputation

no avatar
doggo

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:27 pm

What does it shoot likenow?. I stripped mine down relubed with cv joint grease polished the spring ends and fitted a tin bum top hat and spring guide kit, all easy to do your self. It now shoots 11.4 with aa feilds (with no preload washers). All well worth doing.

Timmytree

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:44 pm

I did a review of a TbT kit a while back after 4 years of tinkering and playing with my PS. There isn't a great deal you can do to improve them, they are usually pretty good out of the box although the odd lemon does slip through sometimes. You will find that changing pellets will generally have a greater effect than changing the internals so it is a fine balancing act. Generally I would say that a replacement guide is a good idea if the stock item is slack but you do need it to fit your spring if it's going to do any good. Play with piston weights and preload and use pellets you know like your barrel for any testing.
Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself, there's nothing difficult about the PS but if it's shooting ok anyway just enjoy it!

roadrunner

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm

One of the best things i tried was to detune it to 10.75 flb and use a jsb express or AA express 7.9 grain pellet, lovely shot cycle and pellet speeds stays higher but then if its windy as it has been recently you wont know if youve retaining accuracy or not

no avatar
shy talk

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:44 pm

After putting 5/6 tins of pellets through the rifle it began to twang, by the time I had put another 5 tins of pellets through it,it was so bad I could not bear to shoot
the rifle. I began to ask around at my club if any one could make it quieter, I was told to ask one of the club members to have a look at it,he took me to meet two
members, and asked them if I could shoot there rifles,(both pro-sport rifles) shooting these rifles was a revelation,they were super smooth and quiet. As I walked away with Ted he told me he was a retired gun smith,and no matter how good an air rifle was, it could always be improved.I talked to him for more than two hours and then arranged to take my pro-sport to him for him to work on it. I took it round to him on Saturday morning May 2nd. The next time I went to the club
I was told that Ted had passed away,I decided to give Teds family some time to recover from the shock of his passing. I went round three weeks later,Teds son told me he had started working on my pro-sport on Sunday morning May 3rd at 9am, when his wife went to his shed at 1pm she found him lying on the floor,
he had passed away. I was then handed my pro-sport, stock first, then the action, then a bag of "parts",I was assured that everything was there. I have tried to reassemble the air rifle but it is beyond my meager skills, atb shy talk

Timmytree

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:05 pm

shy talk wrote:After putting 5/6 tins of pellets through the rifle it began to twang, by the time I had put another 5 tins of pellets through it,it was so bad I could not bear to shoot
the rifle. I began to ask around at my club if any one could make it quieter, I was told to ask one of the club members to have a look at it,he took me to meet two
members, and asked them if I could shoot there rifles,(both pro-sport rifles) shooting these rifles was a revelation,they were super smooth and quiet. As I walked away with Ted he told me he was a retired gun smith,and no matter how good an air rifle was, it could always be improved.I talked to him for more than two hours and then arranged to take my pro-sport to him for him to work on it. I took it round to him on Saturday morning May 2nd. The next time I went to the club
I was told that Ted had passed away,I decided to give Teds family some time to recover from the shock of his passing. I went round three weeks later,Teds son told me he had started working on my pro-sport on Sunday morning May 3rd at 9am, when his wife went to his shed at 1pm she found him lying on the floor,
he had passed away. I was then handed my pro-sport, stock first, then the action, then a bag of "parts",I was assured that everything was there. I have tried to reassemble the air rifle but it is beyond my meager skills, atb shy talk

That's sad. I don't know where you are but if you're close to Somerset or if you can get to the meet in August, myself or a number of others will reassemble it for you. There's nothing too difficult about the Prosport, hopefully Julian will be at the meet with spares as well.
Regards
Tim

no avatar
Friar Tuck

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 pm

Have a look on YouTube - there are some good step-by-step guides on stripping down and reassembly. Shouldn't be too difficult to follow.
I'm contemplating fitting a V-Mach kit to mine and these have made me think it is something I could tackle myself.

Good Luck!

Ian

Blackbaronfish

Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:28 am

Boy that hit a cord. It wouldnt take much to get it assembled, and when you do it will be cherished. The meet is in Nuneaton and there are lots of skilled people going. Mick the host is spring mad and very knowledgeable, also Tim who has offered to put the jigsaw back together is also very up on the Prosports.
Julian the site owner has all the genuine Airarms spares if needed 8-) and again can service them.

You know you want to :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

roadrunner

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:30 am

If your anywhere near sheffield i'll reasemble it for you for a pint