Tuners / tweakers !

no avatar
32:1

Tuners / tweakers !

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi Guys
Ive been playing around with my s410 and have fitted a new valve and set pot to whats reccommended @57mm

Ive now got a problem with ftlbs, with adjuster virtually seated Ive got 11.9ftlb

Question, if I screw pot in more I increase spring tension lowering valve duration, so what is the lowest setting for pot as I plan to have adjuster all the way out.I understand its a case of keep trying but thought there may be a minimum.

Also had an Idea of lightning the hammer to help and/or shortning valve stem to reduce travel

Regards

Chris
If it aint broke, fix it till it is

no avatar
Brooksy

Re: Tuners / tweakers !

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:45 pm

It's a case of balancing the pot and the adjuster. Why do you want the adjuster all the way out? Simply put another turn onto the pot and go from there. The factory probably do it that way, after all, the springs aren't necessarily going to have the same dynamics, the drillings won't all be exactly the same and some will be smoother than others.

I wouldn't lighten the hammer as this permanently restricts you to a certain dynamic and you will have to adjust everything else to compensate with less leeway. Polish the hammer rail instead.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

bgaltd

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:20 pm

32:1 wrote:Hi Guys
Ive been playing around with my s410 and have fitted a new valve and set pot to whats reccommended @57mm

Ive now got a problem with ftlbs, with adjuster virtually seated Ive got 11.9ftlb

Question, if I screw pot in more I increase spring tension lowering valve duration, so what is the lowest setting for pot as I plan to have adjuster all the way out.I understand its a case of keep trying but thought there may be a minimum.

Also had an Idea of lightning the hammer to help and/or shortning valve stem to reduce travel

Regards

Chris

screw the pot in a touch and turn the adjuster all the way out is the best way to go , it will take a while to get perfect but is the best way forward :-) .

no avatar
32:1

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Thats what I planned Julian, thanks for the reply, is there a harder valve spring available ? This may help hammer bounce too ?
If it aint broke, fix it till it is

bgaltd

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:50 am

32:1 wrote:Thats what I planned Julian, thanks for the reply, is there a harder valve spring available ? This may help hammer bounce too ?

there is but i wouldn't advise it (its the fac one) .

Gnome of the Woods

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 am

And that's just as twangy! ;)
Artist formally know as Gnome of the Woods

bgaltd

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:27 pm

Gnome of the Woods wrote:And that's just as twangy! ;)

it would be worse as its much stronger .