Prosport twang

Blackbaronfish

Re: Prosport twang

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:31 pm

By not cleaning the spring with spirit you will find that any grease you put on after wont stick like it should. The vibration from the spring needs to be dampened.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
zippy

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:17 pm

When you re-lube your TX or Ps, just a lick of grease up the front parts of the rifle like comp tube absolutely a lick grease on the piston seal and almost none inside comp tube, as it will just causes dieseling.

Take your TX200 apart again and turn the spring around so the other end is on the rear guide, and put a canny lot of grease on the spring it dose not matter on the spring it is the front parts of the rifle that need almost no grease at all, don't be shy try a canny lot of grease on the spring and rear guide this will silence the twang for good wile.

I opened up one of my tx's and added more grease to the spring, try it, put plenty of grease on the spring and rear guide.

The front parts of the rifle like comp tube, seal ect, touch you tongue on you pram of you hand,,, that is the amount of grease you need on the front parts of the tx200.

But the spring and rear guide, is a different matter.... ((put a good lot of grease on the spring this dampens the spring twang.)) and rear guide.
Last edited by zippy on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

no avatar
FPoole

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:30 pm

I have the same lube ideas as Zippy, just a small amount on the seal and more on the spring and guide. I use strictly JM moly lube these days, but have used Dow Corning M-77 assembly paste in the past. The M-77 is very expensive and is 77% moly. JM and others from the U.S. call my method of lubing the "Fudge Pack" :shock: .

moulindu

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:38 am

I am experiencing the same twang in my TX after 1yr & around 2.5K shots of relubing. Right after tuning TX got all quiet & less twangy, the muzzle report was quieter than the impact sound. I have applied the same method of lubing the spring & piston seal as mentioned by Zippy & Fpoole with JM moly & spring tar. But now i can feel the twang & recoil bit more to my liking. I am planning to go for a full TX servicing with new TBT kit,few washers for piston, barrel & a trigger job as well :D .
Moulindu

no avatar
Tim33

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks again guys, will be stripping it down again tonight and i shall let you know how i get on!
AA Prosport .177 Walnut
Matt Winser Suppressor
MTC Viper 10x44

no avatar
DESERT FOX

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Sake-san wrote:Yup, there is more than one way to tune / lube a springer!, for sure. But, we are now >7000 pellets through one TX which is demonstrating neither twang nor relube issues... And the delrin spring guide remains tight.

Thats my findings with my Prosport

Sake-san

Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:56 pm

As a mere strip of a lad I lusted after a Bultaco trials bike, some 35 years later I reckon there is rather a lot of Bultaco talked about springer tuning :mrgreen:
Aside from the obvious, degreasing, deburing and sensibly relubing I think that for most folks a good tight spring guide and top hat coupled with a well fitting seal is probably going to deliver for not much time / money 95% of what they seek.
This does however, for those wishing to to find the grail raise the question of what it is precisely which they do seek...
"Twang" seems to come up often but, in the context of a noise which is apparently not desired, I understand that and curing it is somewhat straightforward (see numerous posts ref twang). Is it the noise reduction, is it a smoother feel, is it improved consistency (I trust they weigh the pellets prior the famous chrono strings), is it simply "it's been tuned", is it a psychological feeling of alls well (important too), is it the goal of a faster so called lock time, is it better groups on the target range...
I ask because after some 18 months of intensive experimentation I had to ask myself these questions, now I don't (read cannot here in France with an air gun) hunt but, shoot HFT and FT style targets / courses. My assessments of improvement are not taken from a bench rest or other aid but, from real HFT / FT positions.
It took me a wee while but, accuracy of the gun assumed, the only key things are a very stable sight picture (aka a PCP) so that I can clearly see the pellet in flight and where it strikes and to a lesser degree consistency (mps or in real money fps) maintained without frequent servicing.
I care less if it twangs, boings, farts, cracks or otherwise behaves, if these two criteria are met then the Grail is discovered.
Now I relate to target shooting disciplines but, would have thought that they are equally applicable to the humane hunter!.
I admire the cottage industry that has been built around springer tuning and if it makes the shooters happy then great but, less Bultaco please ;)
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

Timmytree

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Well said Sake San, to produce power from a springer you are going to unleash a coiled spring and a piston which will inevitably cause a recoil of some sort. A Prosport will nearly always have a little twang, just accept it! Tight guides help but if you measure the gap between piston wall and spring you will find that the spring will always touch the piston wall somewhere, that transmits the noise.
The cure? find a narrower spring or take a mm off the internal piston wall and fit a nylon liner, something that AA could do easily and then bond a liner to the piston permanently.
I've decided that I can live with a bit of resonance, going deaf helps! :D

Sake-san

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 pm

"Sorry, say again please" :lol:

Sake-san

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:45 pm

What prompted my post was after 4 hours of mowing the lawns, cleaning the pool filters etc. I sat down to a well deserved cup of piping hot Earl Gray and YouTube. Here I find a rather influential accolght of the UK airgun scene eulogising about some shop /tuner. He is seen shooting targets at less than 20m from a rested position and telling the world "pellet on pellet" ... "So smooth"etc. you get the picture?
If he had been using a nail gun I might have been just slightly impressed ;)