Air Rifles from USA

no avatar
Polchraine

Air Rifles from USA

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 am

I was a member here many years back, but no real time to visit. However I need some advise or pointers.

I am about to start teaching my grandson to shoot and need a basic air rifle - almost a throw away to start with. My AA and others are to large and heavy for him to use a present although he may finally migrate as he grows.

Has anyone any experience of bringing back an air rifle from the USA.

There is a lot greater choice oiut there and prices are much better ... and as I wiull be flying back in October thought I could bring one back. So far, enquiries with BA (by phone) have given what seen to be incredible answers and I am awaiting a formal reaponse from them. Everything is based around items requiring an FAC or SGC and related security.

Purchase and ownership out there is not an issue. I can pack it as part of my normal baggage allowance and then, just to be "clean", declare it to TSA (if required) and UK customs.

Any ideas or links?

Blackbaronfish

Re: Air Rifles from USA

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:19 pm

You would be better of finding a model that you like over there then when your back get one imported.
Trying to do it yourself gets a bit sticky due to not having an importing licence

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Polchraine

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:34 am

Why do you suggest an import licence is needed?

Bringing it back as a personal import as part of a baggage allowance does not normally require one for most items.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 am

I don’t think it’s that easy otherwise we would all be filling our suitcases.
You would need to prove it’s uk legal, declare it at the US side. It would need to be stripped down and some may want it in an approved flight case.
Custom charges may apply and you would need to declare when coming through Uk.
You must prove that your not trying to bypass import duties.

Some have got away with most of the above at some time.
I have been told it’s easier to post it back😂
The import licence may not apply as I was thinking of other firearms
BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Polchraine

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am

No intention to avoid duties or taxes - just the massive profits and mark-ups we face in this country.

Customs duty is only payable on items over £135 and the types I am looking at are below that, and even VAT may not be payable as it will be within my tax free allowance and as I said, I would be declaring it on arrival anyway.

The sort I am looking at are around $70 or so, whereas in te UK there is nothing similar until you start to get to £150 or more.