new member with tx200

no avatar
sussexa

Re: new member with tx200

Sun May 13, 2018 4:18 pm

blue touched up and oiled
results are in, surprised again how picky the barrel is but to be fair ive never tested so many different types before.
disclaimer even at only 15m the rifle is way more accurate than i am currently , probably a good 30-40 shots prior to this test were shot to zero scope ,and so from rested here 3 shot groups.
listed worst to best in centre to centre in mms (to nearest 0.5mm)
h+n 5.54 = 11.0mm
h+n 5.53 = 10.0mm
jsb 5.51 = 9.0mm
jsb 5.53 = 9.0mm
aa 5.52 = 6.5mm (silicone lubed)
aa 5.52 = 6.0mm (napier lubed)
jsb rs 5.52= 5.0mm(sized to 5.52 skirt)
jsb 5.52= 4.5mm
aa 5.52 = 3.5mm
aa 5.52 = 3.0mm
aa 5.51 = 2.5mm
there are 2x aa 5.52 and they were start and end of the testing first and last to take into account my consistency or a fluke after the first 3.5mm group.
the h+n faired no better in accuracy than they did in the power test.
surprisingly the lubed pellets didnt fair as well as the out of the tin dry pellets and the last aa 5.52 3mm c to c was just after the lubed pellets
had set my mind on jsb but now looking like the aa 5.52 are the best mix of accuracy and power , in this configuration of tx200.
the lock time is very fast and im sure is contributing a lot to the accuracy seen here.
very pleased with the results

no avatar
sussexa

Sun May 13, 2018 7:10 pm

for reference added almost all to youtube vid(noticed im missing the 2.5mm group )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeJTXhePgw

no avatar
sussexa

Sun May 13, 2018 7:48 pm

sorry bout the music i have been told my vids are too boring with no talking or music
heres the missing 2.5mm and no music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF8g-VDuWjc

Timmytree

Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 am

Thorough testing, well done!
The slight rise in power after removing a washer may indicate that the internals were "oversprung" to the point of robbing power. I can't remember what spring you fitted but if you have the shorter stroke internals it would probably do well with the original Mk2 spring which had 3 closed coils. FPoole is the man to tell you about that. Julian (bgaltd) may still have some in his extensive box of bits!
The only pellets left for you to try would be AA Fields Express which are surprising many people.
As for skirt size, don't worry. The blast from a springer will form them to fit the rifling anyway unless they are those ridiculous "green" pellets.

no avatar
sussexa

Tue May 15, 2018 10:44 am

thanks im not testing any more pellets ive ordered a few tins of the aa field 5.52 and will process them into batches based on head size weight etc.
testing what i have left of my first tin , with a diy size gauge made by drilling a 1mm plate 5.5mm which drilled about 5.47mm and then oppened up with a taper pin and some lapping paste.
i ended up with 5 holes not guaranteed exact size but were measurably different from about 5.50mm to 5.54mm
and hopefully pretty round.
on checking half tin i found most were a light push through and back out(not pushing skirt through)what i am calling 5.52mm, but wont drop through , decided not to group bigger as it was pretty easy to push big pellets through.
so i ended up with about half sized at 5.52mm and half that dropped through that hole and split again into a push through the next hole or drops through all holes(5.50 or less) 3 groups total.
will keep the 5.52 for best 5.51 for 2nd best 5.50 for plinking zeroing or testing stuff
i will wash these again as the shavings might as well be back out, and start the processing of future batches with sizing first , before washing and drying, then onto weighing , as many others probably have bought a very cheap pocket scale that just cant do 0.1gn reliably , plenty good enough for weighing groups of 10 or 20 for average weights though so not wasted.
im not going to be doing any matches or competitions so trying another cheap set and hoping for the best.
after seeing the accuracy test i will have to decide on wether or not to lube after washing and drying ? how long before oxidisation occurs ?
are they prelubed in the air arms tins?
otherwise its going to be wash dry lube and then wash dry for use ?
and yes for skirt size i wont be bothering sizing as of now thanks

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Tue May 15, 2018 11:58 am

I feel totally slobbish just opening a tin and popping them in the rifle.

no avatar
sussexa

Wed May 16, 2018 11:26 am

i could well be over the top at the moment
but i need a baseline to understand what i can expect power consistency and accuracy wise form this old but new to me now tuned rifle.
new scales turned up and seem much more repeatable and read 0.01gn
measured as low as 15.55gn and as high as 16.12gn which i reckon on calcs would make around 11fps variation and .4 flt bs variation on just the pellet weight.
sorted out anything under 15.65 and anything over 16gn (not too many)
then sorted the others into 15.66-15.84 and another lot 15.86-16.0 (not far off 50/50 split)

no avatar
sussexa

Fri May 18, 2018 11:31 am

ok im willing to admit most of that looks to have been not needed especially out to 15m i can see a difference between the best and worst groups but barely.
the sizing seems less inportant than the weight but as theyre sorted now thats how theyre staying.
the difference small and lights and large and heavy were measurable in results.
also the closely matched size and weight group was very consistant fps shot to shot.
also weighed and shot 10 and power stays fairly consistent so pellet weight looks to be a large variation in the fps from out of the tin on a settled consistent rifle. i can only imagine what not weighing does out to 40-50m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5V0Pr-uTzM