New member, old gun

no avatar
Tomb

New member, old gun

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Hello to all,

I am new to the forum and recently purchased a used TX200HC from a dealer, with what I will describe as a mk2 stock. I called Air Arms, who happily told me it was manufactured in 2001. :D

When I bought the gun the shop test fired it, then I went home and put a few pellets through it. All was good. Then last weekend I took it to a range and put half a tin through it indoors. It was performing nicely. So i thought I'd have a go outside. The wind was light, but i couldn't seem to hit any of the targets. Then I noticed some white hard wax bits in my chamber... odd, I thought. Suspecting it was bits of the piston seal I borrowed a chrono and was quickly alerted to the fact that no pellets were exiting the barrel :roll: one of the guys there tried to push the pellets out but they were stuck fast.

I wont tell you how many pellets were in there, but it took me all Sunday afternoon messing with bits of dowel with drill bits and screws stuck in the end, that was a complete fail, but they came out in the end with zero damage to tbe barrel! fyi long 5mm wood screws with the point cut off screw into the skirt of a pellet nicely, just make sure to wrap the screw with one layer of tape - anticlockwise looking from the head of the screw so the tape doesnt come off.

I have a set of new seals on the way from Julian, top bloke, thank you for the awesome service!

I just had a go at cleaning the internals and they look good. there's quite a bit of pitting on the latch rod, but i dont fancy removing it to polish it, seems to function ok. Theres a few nicks and worn areas but nothing bad. I'll try and get some photos up soon if anyone is interested.

If you read all of my waffle, thanks, if not I don't blame you!

Tom

bgaltd

Re: New member, old gun

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:37 pm

glad your parts arrived in good time Tom :-) .

it was good to chat to you again today and i hope the strip and rebuild goes well , ring me or ask questions on here if you run into any trouble .

rgds.

julian

no avatar
143granville

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:35 pm

hi tom welcome .

no avatar
Tomb

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Thank you for the replies chaps!

The rebuild is now complete and i have fired a few shots through the rifle. The pellets now exit the barrel, a marked improvement to the previous condition.

I noticed that that the piston seal is a rather snug fit in the comp tube. I read a guide that indicated the seal should be sanded to fit, but I have also seen reports of new rifles requiring a break in period. What is the general consensus, does one fit the seal to the bore or let the gun do that its self?

I bought myself a combro to test the newly refurb'd rifle, which initially gave readings of 11.5ft/lb, the following 50 or so shots settled to between 10.7 and 11.15ft/lb. That is with AA Field. The power spread is more than I would like, but 11ft/lb seems a sensible number. Anyone know what kind of power spread is achievable?

I tried to post some photographs but the file size is too large! What is the max file size for a jpeg?

All the best,

Tom

bgaltd

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:19 am

Tomb wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:15 pm
Thank you for the replies chaps!

The rebuild is now complete and i have fired a few shots through the rifle. The pellets now exit the barrel, a marked improvement to the previous condition.

I noticed that that the piston seal is a rather snug fit in the comp tube. I read a guide that indicated the seal should be sanded to fit, but I have also seen reports of new rifles requiring a break in period. What is the general consensus, does one fit the seal to the bore or let the gun do that its self?

I bought myself a combro to test the newly refurb'd rifle, which initially gave readings of 11.5ft/lb, the following 50 or so shots settled to between 10.7 and 11.15ft/lb. That is with AA Field. The power spread is more than I would like, but 11ft/lb seems a sensible number. Anyone know what kind of power spread is achievable?

I tried to post some photographs but the file size is too large! What is the max file size for a jpeg?

All the best,

Tom
hi Tom ,
you'll need to put at least half a tin through it if not a tin before its fully settled down .

put a few more pellets through it and then crono it :-) :-) .

rgds.

julian.