Pellet scales

no avatar
panman3

Pellet scales

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend an accurate & reliable pellet weigher please?

Thankyou

Sake-san

Re: Pellet scales

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:14 pm

I have tried a few, On Balance (no pun intended) CT-250 Carat Scale work well for me and were not very expensive.
I imagine a simple google will bring them up for you.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
neil

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:57 pm

try the local cheapo shop that stock tobacco tin, herb grinders and oversize rizzla`s, the usually stock small scales that can weigh pellets, probably not extremely accurate but OK for comparing pellets or just sorting into weight groups

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 am

Doesn't it say the pellet weight on the tin? :D

Seriously though what percentage of 8 grains do you hope to measure either side of the manufactureer stated weight? You will surely need laboratory standard scales.

Sake-san

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:26 pm

The weight on the tin is about accurate as the head size on the tin! :lol:

I don't know what a laboratory standard scale is but, the ones suggested above measure accurately (and repeatably) to 0.001g which should be good enough for even the most fastidious sorter of pellets ;)
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Sake-san wrote:I don't know what a laboratory standard scale is but, the ones suggested above measure accurately (and repeatably) to 0.001g which should be good enough for even the most fastidious sorter of pellets ;)

That should do it!

Raj

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:45 pm

Guys I too used to laugh quietly at people who weigh their pellets, wash them lube them etc.etc. Admittedly, I will never do this on an ongoing basis for my needs but I did do it once and was shocked at what I found.

After fitting an Altaros regulator to my S200, I was keen to find out just how consistent it made my power output. I therefore decided to eliminate any variables by weighing and grading just 100 pellets for my test. Now according to the label on the AA Diabolo Field tin, 8.4 Grains is 0.547 grammes. According to the converter on Google, it should be 0.544 Grammes !!! Already a discrepancy. Well, I cleaned them and then started to weigh them ... arranging them neatly in stacks of .02 Gramme intervals. The resulting picture was a near perfect but shallow Normal Distribution curve with the minimum weight of a pellet coming in at 0.490 grammes while the heaviest pellet was a whopping 0.620 grammes !!!! :shock:

So assuming my regulated S200 was putting out a perfectly consistent speed of 780 feet/second, the resultant spread in foot pounds energy would vary between 10.22 ft.lbs for the .490 gramme pellet to an illegal 12.93 ft.lbs for the heavier .620 gramme pellet. The resulting variation in POI at say ... 40 yards does not even bear thinking about. Or in other words, if the power is consisten (which it would be with a well regulated rifle) the speed and therefore the POI will shift dramatically with a standard un-sorted box of pellets. Makes you realize why they grade it when you are seriously into winning competitions and matches.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Brooksy

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:13 pm

I was under the impression that pellets are formed from lead shot. To manufacture the lead shot, molten lead is dripped through a sieve like structure and the "drips" fall into a water bath as spheres. This cannot possibly give an accurate, consistent shape and weight.
Therefore, the manufacturer cannot, and understandably, won't measure and adjust each blank.
Also, even the moulds used for Aston Martin pressed fibreglass wings differ in thickness and profile. So pellet moulds? Believe it, they're going to vary.
Now, if you still believe that Aston Martin hand beat pure aluminium into body panels, and they don't use hot pressed glass fibre, come to Crewe and I will show you the line. It's only 7 miles away and anybody can walk in!
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:41 am

lead shot for shotguns and fishing is produced from gravity towers that way, but pellets are chopped from coils of lead wire then stamped in dies so they are as accurate as 5p coins coins.

I asked H&N if they made to 4.51 or if they made to 4.5 then sorted with laser measures into batches by size. I reckon I am right but they insist they can coin them to exact size, however nobody mentioned weight to the same accuracy.