S510 broken top seer: where to find parts?

no avatar
ArmyBiker

S510 broken top seer: where to find parts?

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Give me some grace over my air-gun "newbie" status. I'm a handgun/rifle veteran. Had a spring-loaded pellet gun which served me well for years, but only recently acquired my first "serious" air gun - AA S510 Xtra FAC. And LOVE the accuracy that I achieved with zero tinkering.

This morning I used the last round in my magazine whacking a squirrel in my backyard. This afternoon, I got a little too excited when I spotted another squirrel, and got a little frustrated when I realized the magazine was empty. As I was hurrying to pull the magazine out in order to reload... I got it about half-cocked and let 'er slip, which discharged the gun (to my surprise)!! Glad the barrel was pointed in a safe direction. After that, it would never fire again. Dang it!! In my attempts to "re-cock" it several times, like an idiot, I've also probably got 2-3 pellets lodged in there.

At any rate - this forum allowed me to rapidly diagnose my problem as likely a broken top seer. I found a great video on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ge3cfq1AOQ, which was helpful... and confirmed the broken top seer. Ugh.

NOW my problem is - where the heck to FIND a new top seer? My 2nd questions is: Can I simply shoot 2-3 pellets out at one time without a problem?

Thanks again for this forum - and your kind assistance.

Blackbaronfish

Re: S510 broken top seer: where to find parts?

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:13 am

Julian Bond the site owner has all the spares you would need.
He has his own section which your post has been moved to

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
ArmyBiker

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Roger that. Thank you Baron. In the meantime, I spotted a replacement part on Pyramid Air (which I went ahead & ordered)... and if it's a batch problem, someone suggested I email Air Arms to see if they might also send me a replacement.

My thanks for the speedy comments!

no avatar
ArmyBiker

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:04 pm

PS: On closer examination, the top seer appears to be made of cast steel, not machined. No wonder it breaks so easily!! Crummy chinese parts find their way into this fine English Firearm? :shock: :evil:

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:42 am

Its been discussed before how they are made - cast or laser cut - and how they might have been through or case hardened or did they forget to temper them, and why they have open sided holes rather than drilled. Nobody seems to know, but every internal part ought to be made in UK as they have enough CNC machines.
Yes mine came with chinese peep sights that I replaced after a few months with Centra and barrels and stocks are bought in.

no avatar
ArmyBiker

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:36 pm

THANKS for the advice on reaching out to AA. Sure enough - they airmailed me not one, but two replacement top seers! Ironically, the replacement part from Pyramid arrived... SAME DAY. LOL. So -- I guess I've got plenty of backups.
Took me a hot minute to figure out I needed to mount the seer vertically on the pin then simply rotate it into place... but my brain finally kicked in and I've got her working again!
I appreciate the help from the members here.
SHOUT OUT to TMP in particular for your advice & U-Tube video.

ArmyBiker

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Two replacement sears is quite an apology!
The way the top sear spring is fixed in is rather strange. The screw is only finger tight and is prevented from unscrewing only by the cover. If you leave it too loose on assembly it can bend the plate. It maybe should be threadlocked but mine isn't.