General Licences Consultation

no avatar
Jammy13

General Licences Consultation

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:19 pm

You may know the General Licences to shoot winged vermin are only temporary until February 2020.

Defra have an online consultation and want the views of those for and against the shooting of vermin.
I filled in the consultation which was advised to take 1hr but took me 1.5hrs. There is a link to save where you are up to. You will receive an email which you click on to get back to where you were. You can edit and add anything you think of when you go back.
I implore all who shoot vermin to offer their views. You can be sure the anti's will be adding there views.

Rooks are completely removed from shooting on Wales with a chance that the welsh government will ban all vermin shooting. What will be lost forever to English shooters if we don't act? Other countries in the UK may follow the English licences so even if you don't live in England you can still fill in the consultation. This is all done anonymously.
Entries will close in December with the new licences coming out in February, if there are any.

I think all shooting is stuffed if labour form the next government or at least the shooting of vermin.

Here is the link www.gov.uk/government/consultations Scroll down until you come to the relevant consultation.

You can then scroll right thru the questionnaire to see where you can add something then go back to the beginning to add in those sections.

Please pass this on to anyone who shoots and is unlikely to read my post and ask then to fill in the consultation. Even shooters who do not shoot vermin shoot can make an entry. This could be the thin end of the wedge. The anti's misinform the public and politicians so we gradually loose shooting.

Complacency will finish the sport we all love.

DO IT!

Keith

Raj

Re: General Licences Consultation

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 pm

Had a good look ... searched for 'vermin' using the search facility. Could not find the document. Can you say what page it is on please ... there are 350 pages of consultations.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Jammy13

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Raj,
Scroll down until you reach general licences then click on it. I'm sure you will find it.

Keith

no avatar
Jammy13

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:43 am

Raj,
further to my previous post.

Search General Licences from my link --- 2nd on the list and scroll to where it says summary --- consultation is being held on another site and click it.

You will be taken to where you need to be.

Keith

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:38 am

Why not publish the direct link?

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-m ... ce-survey/

Yes I also encourage all to make their feelings felt, I will,

no avatar
Jammy13

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 pm

That is a good idea Peter. I didn't think of doing that so here it is: -

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-m ... ce-survey/

Now its easy to find the survey.

You do not have to fill in every section, just the ones where you have knowledge.

I didn't fill in anything about parakeets because they do not cause the farmers or fruit growers I know any problem. They are not in my part of England but they will be if they are not included in the new General Licences. The same goes for the other vermin that are, at this time, still south of me but will undoubtedly head my way if they cannot be legally reduced in numbers.

You can be sure the antis will be submitting all types of lies in an attempt to squash the licences forever. If Defra do not have any evidence to counter their arguments they will have no option but not to replace the temporary the licences.

There is no need to tell porkies, just state where you have found damage caused by these vermin, what non lethal means were used to prevent it and how successful that was. Also, did prevention simply push the problem onto other farmers. You could state that a reduction in numbers is needed. Whatever you think is relevant. Remember crows attack lambs and take wild birds eggs and young. Magpies also take songbirds eggs and young. Just have a think. You can always save where you are up to and go back to continue or edit what you have already entered. At the very end there is a submit button. Once you click it you cannot edit your entries

The survey closes the 5th of December.

Keith

no avatar
Jammy13

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Peter,
my link is the same as yours! HaHa I should have tried your link.

Here's something I've remembered.

The Dark Bellied Brent goose caused a lot of damage to crops and were shot by wildfowlers mainly since shotguns were invented. In the 1950's (I think) their numbers dropped after quite a few poor breeding seasons so the were temporarily removed from the quarry list until their numbers increased. Their numbers are more than double now than what they were when they were a legal quarry and do cause a lot of damage to farmers crops.

A good argument to starting taking them again. It will never happen. This just shows that once something is off the list it will never come back.

Please tell your shooting friends, no matter what they use, to fill in what they can in the survey. We need numbers.

If you are a member of other shooting forums you are welcome to copy and paste all that I have written and submit it. Email it to any shooters you know, even if they do not shoot now because they may have useful information from their shooting days.

Keith

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:38 am

Some of my shooting friends kill living creatures for sport (your word), some find it abhorrent.
Personally I think if you want to kill any animal you should have a personal licence, like FAC. Put your perms and species on there.
General licences allow for amateurs to have a go at anything under the heading "vermin". Some total twonks even think it is OK to kill magpies at 80 yards which is thoroughly irresponsible and usually a cruel death. Shooting off a beak will knock it off the branch but leave it writhing for hours.
(Some complete psychos shoot songbirds 100 in a day but fortunately they tend to be across the Atlantic.)
Like I said thanks for the link, I will make my feelings known there.

no avatar
Jammy13

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Peter,
I would like to answer some of the points you raised in your last post.

"Some of my shooting friends kill living creatures for sport (your word), some find it abhorrent."

Yes I do consider what I do is a sport. Sport is something a person enjoys doing and in my case has the added satisfaction of knowing I'm doing a good job for my farmers and the ever decreasing songbird population.
What would your shooting friends that find killing any living thing abhorrent think when walking outside and all they ever saw were magpies and the rest of the corvid population? If they eat meat they do not have an argument.

"Personally I think if you want to kill any animal you should have a personal licence, like FAC."

FAC is a none starter where I shoot. I shoot feral pigeons, magpies, jackdaws and crows in the sheds and barns. An FAC air rifle could easily punch holes in the roofs of these sheds and barns. Pellets, even though made basically of lead, can ricochet if they contact the correct surface. FAC increases the chance of collateral damage because of their greater speed. I am very aware that most FAC pcp's have a power adjuster to reduce the power around the farm, however, FAC springers do not. A sub 12ft/lb rifle is the ideal tool for that job and other vermin shooting around the farm.

"General licences allow for amateurs to have a go at anything under the heading "vermin". Some total twonks even think it is OK to kill magpies at 80 yards which is thoroughly irresponsible and usually a cruel death. Shooting off a beak will knock it off the branch but leave it writhing for hours."

As with all mechanical things in life understanding the capabilities is absolutely necessary. It is up to those with experience to point out what the capabilities are of any air gun or rifle and provide guidance. Perhaps a sheet of the capabilities could be given with every air gun purchased from a gun shop.
As for shooting magpies at 80yds I think it is very possible. Not for me because I'm not a good enough shot. My limit is grouping within a 5p piece at 35yds supported or 25yds freestanding. British army snipers can hit a target at well over 1 mile so some people will be very capable of shooting magpies, crows, etc., at 80yds.

Keith

For those who are reading this and have not filled in the survey please do so. We need numbers. The clock is ticking.

You are very welcome to copy and paste my words into any shooting forum. Tell your none forum friends and anyone else you think will have something to add to the survey. Some of your friends may have something to add even if you do not think they have. There is no need to enter something in every section, only the ones you have something to add.

The link is in a previous post

no avatar
tonyc

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:09 pm

I do hope this forum isn't going to descend to the level of vitriolic rants seen on other sites.

I shoot and kill vermin, which I don't feel the need to justify here, or anywhere, as what I do is carefully considered and legal. I don't find anything that Peter expressed offensive or needs any answer. So, hopefully, we can leave it at that.