All should read

Blackbaronfish

All should read

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:47 am

How many of you guys would mind if we changed locations and moved onto Facebook.
It would be a no sales site of air guns, but accessories would be ok.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

gdavison

Re: All should read

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:03 am

Great Question - some initial thoughts - There is an Air Arms Owners Group already, which is actually ran by AirArms them selves, confusion may exist with Owners group and owners club

The ability to sell via private forum is a big thumbs up versus Facebook and over the years I have advertised a few things on here, in the various FB groups despite clear warnings re terms, there will be daily attempts by folk selling or buying rifles often thinly hidden under "might sell what's it worth ?" posts needing admin interjection before Facebook decide the group is outside the T&C's and simply shuts it down

Stock sales may be an issue as Facebook often seem to decide a stock is a full weapon
Facebook change their T&C's on a regular basis so while today a "weapons group with no sales of weapons" is allowed who knows what happens tomorrow ?
Search sucks as there is only the group and no sub categories so we would mix a technical post in with general banter

On the Pro side
Ability for everyone to easily upload Photos and Videos is a big plus
Easier to read on mobile device
I would loose my confusion re news posts and notifications which I have never understood on this version of forum :o
All costs for the providers of this superb site would go to zero, which I can see is attractive

As a 58year old I feel I can ask this :D .. do the older members of this forum use Facebook at all ? FWIW I do, but it is now less and less as the continued invasion of privacy continues to concern me, I really only use it Facebook on a PC now as I can use extensions like FaceBook Purity to filter out all the noise, adverts, promotions etc and Ublock to block all the tracking cookies etc
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

Timmytree

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't use facebook and never will so that would be an issue, but then I don't post like I used to so it's whatever is best for the majority.

Geordie

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:50 pm

FB boils my piss at times, but thats usually cos of its down right fake BS (especially in my neighbourhood lol). I dont get on the forum much , so dont think I really deserve a say on what the admin team decide to do, I'll back you guys what ever you decide is best......I'm fine with a FB AAOC page though, who knows it could be the best thing for the club.

I joined a decade ago, I miss the hustle and bustle of the old place. New beginning perhaps..........
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
vonbeck

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Dont use facebook and never will
just my 2p

no avatar
pelletcaster

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:25 pm

vonbeck wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:42 pm
Dont use facebook and never will
just my 2p
Me too 8-)
Live is a journey - not a destination.
-----------------------------------------
AA TX200 HC / LGU Master / LGV-CU / HW35 / HW50s (1974) / HW50S (2015) / HW90 / DIANA 34 T01
DS MK4iS-S / SPA P-12 / CZ200S-Green

no avatar
Pete2

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:57 pm

FB are strict on rifles and guns. There may be the odd time when posts or users are blocked especially if a post is reported.

no avatar
cornish kev

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:53 am

Facebook will kill the the owners club after s short time. Many older members will just vanish. Searching a group I find bloody hard.

Just don't do it, unless cost is a factor.
---
Regards,
Kevin.

Cornwall Airgunners Club

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:02 am

That is the problem kev,older members have vanished :( Facebook won't be responsible for killing the airarmsownersclub it will die long before we get there at this rate.
We are looking for a solution that can attract new members who are willing to join in and help save the forum.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
cornish kev

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 am

I think in general though most forums have have seen a decline in membership and visits.
I know 2 that moved to facebook a few years back and have since vanished.
The hw owners club got taken over by tapitalk and now that one is almost dead.
Could it be down to layout/design after the loss of the original forum, I don't know.
The problem arises if you ask members what they want or give ideas very few respond and many complain if it folds.
For me I read alot but post very little which is no help at all but have found the forum very helpful.
On our club forum we used to use IPB4 and that almost killed it so we moved to Xenforo 1.x and after the move it took 18 months to start working again.
I really hope we don't lose what we have but the admins must do what's best to survive.
---
Regards,
Kevin.

Cornwall Airgunners Club