Out of a job yet again

no avatar
Big Dog

Out of a job yet again

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm

I'm wondering if there are any decent employers left out there. Ive been made redundant due to cost cutting a couple of times over the past 5 years and today it's happened again. I work for Travis Perkins who have today told us that our yard, among others, is to close in just 4 weeks time. Travis profits have been falling for a while, but we are still making good money. Maybe the company is going down the pan, but I don't think so. We work very hard physically demanding 50 hour weeks for just pennies above the national living wage, with no breaks during our 10 hour working days, we suffer injury because health and safety is poor, for a company with a £50billion plus turnover, that is now closing yards again and putting us on the unemployed scrapheap just so that it can continue paying shareholders and those at the top of the management tree big money. It's a pretty poor state of affairs.

There's no full time permanent work around here at the moment, so this time it looks as if I could lose my home.

I give up on finding an employer that's actually any good nowadays.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Out of a job yet again

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:06 am

Sorry too hear that,I remember you getting that job.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Blackbaronfish

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 am

That’s not good. I hope you find a way out of this

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
bruno22rf

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Is there not a Tesco near you? - rates are increasing to £9 hr soon plus you get staff discount (as do family members) and they now run a "staff store" whereby unsold items are offered to staff at 1p . Not the most rewarding job in the world maybe but I believe that work (and life ) is what you make it. Good luck with whatever you choose - I know how you feel as the big R hit me twice but both times it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

no avatar
gary martin

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 pm

so sorry to hear your news. don't give up, I changed my employment 6 months ago and so glad I did. better conditions, pay and perks, plus I walk to work. no travel costs etc. somewhere you will find an employer that deserves your talent, and treats you with respect, and as an asset to them. keep faith, wish you well.
Gary.

no avatar
Big Dog

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:49 am

Cheers for the support all. There is a Tesco 3 miles down the road, they have a few jobs going but all are just part time at 16 hours a week. Have spent the last few days looking everywhere within driving range but there's nothing at all full time or even 30 hours a week plus. The search goes on I guess.