stopping smoking

no avatar
wastrel

stopping smoking

Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:47 pm

on the old forum, I'd posted about stopping smoking & I (hopefully) encouraged a few members to join me, I'm a year & a half in & I thought I'd share a few things with you.
I smoked for 30 years then, I dunno, maybe the moon was in the right place or summit, I stopped. Full stop!
I now no longer have, smelly breath, yellow teeth, to sandpaper the nicotine staines from my fingers every few days, chew chewing gum before meeting people, to decorate the sitting room every few months (the boss' chipping in here, she's 8 years in now) to go the ATM every few days, know the staff in the co-op shop 100m from my house, I never go there any more!
I now have, always got money in my pocket, even if just a few pound coins, I spent a week in Aberdeen doing my offshore training & left with the same £20 note in my wallet I arrived with & I'm not joking! a new car, the ability to taste & smell things properly, a hate for carry out meals, detest the smell of cheese & onion crisps :shock: (I lived on cheese & onion crisps!) couldn't find a lighter, like, anywhere, when I wanted to burn some garden rubbish, able to sit all night with my family without going to the back door every hour, a clean car, no burn holes in my clothes, ignore smoking shelters outside pubs & clubs.
trust me, it's all good!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Andy-K2

Re: stopping smoking

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:56 pm

Been a year for me, started vaping March 6th 2014 on a lower nicotine, June 1st nicotine free, Dec 1st quit vaping and have been smoke/vapour free since then. :)
"Whatever""Whenever" The codes of friendship.
Be kinder than necessary, every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

TX200 Mk3 .177 (of course) Hawke EV 3-9x50 MAP6. TBT.
HW100T .177 Hawke Sidewinder 30 SF 3-12x50 1/2 Milldot

Geordie

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:03 pm

1 year 3 months for me now. still vaping like a goodun though :D
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
vampire

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:21 pm

I also posted on the old forum about vaping and had given up for a year,sadly I have fallen and am smoking again,totally gutted.

Geordie

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm

vampire wrote:I also posted on the old forum about vaping and had given up for a year,sadly I have fallen and am smoking again,totally gutted.

Well at least you gave your lungs/heart a rest for a year. Look on the positive side and get back on the horse 8-)
AA s410K .177

no avatar
poguemahone

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:59 pm

1 year today for me, i use a toy fag now. i had been pratting about trying to cut down for a couple of years.
i'd probably still be trying now, but 12 months ago yesterday, mr pherwani the vascular surgeon talked me out of it :lol:
when he told me the odds of me surviving major surgery for an aortic aneurysm, it was a no brainer. after 15 weeks of no smoking and 8 weeks of steroids, my odds had improved so much i told everyone have a fiver each way on me :lol:
i did inhale a bit of smoke just as i came out of the operating theatre, but that was because an arsonist had set fire to the hospital :lol: this was the 3rd time he'd set fire to a hospital, and he'd set fire to 2 colleges up as well, and they still keep letting him out :shock: :shock:

Geordie

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Just over four years for me........still vaping like a champ though. ;)
AA s410K .177

Blackbaronfish

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 am

Well done just for trying 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Cremating my best mate next week. He left it too late to have any real benefit as 30% of his lungs were mush in 2003. Started smoking in national service. Got another 15 years of life after he gave up otherwise 1 year was predicted. He did it by going to the gym twice a week (on the NHS).
Keeping away from your mates who smoke is key. I tried many times to give up until I changed place of work where they had a group give up smoking campaign.

darran77

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Nearly 18 years now , and i do and have considered myself a none smoker since.
Ok it has not been easy as i substituted the fags for food but i have money in my pocket and clothes without burn holes in them, and the smell has gone too.
Its not the same for everyone and i admire anyone who either gives up or tries.
daz
IFAC member