killer crow

no avatar
silverstag

Re: killer crow

Wed May 31, 2017 1:14 pm

I always thought crows were quite solitary creatures, never seen together in numbers much greater than 2's or 3's. Rooks on the other hand are quite gregarious and often seen in large numbers :?:

Timmytree

Wed May 31, 2017 7:28 pm

silverstag wrote:I always thought crows were quite solitary creatures, never seen together in numbers much greater than 2's or 3's. Rooks on the other hand are quite gregarious and often seen in large numbers :?:

These usually are in 2's or 3's but sometimes when food is plentiful IE after a maize harvest they will congregate in greater numbers.
I think the crows I'm seeing are a family group.

no avatar
silverstag

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:59 pm

'" These usually are in 2's or 3's but sometimes when food is plentiful IE after a maize harvest they will congregate in greater numbers.
I think the crows I'm seeing are a family group "
Timmytree

Didn't realise that Timmytree, thanks for the info, I find it really difficult to distinguish between crows and rooks and so always decided which is which by the size of the groups. Having said that, the noisey buggers opposite where I live are definitely rooks

Timmytree

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:34 pm

A bump for this thread.
I thought the killer crow had gone but with a few pigeons around he's back chasing them again. Not seen another kill but he actively pursues them usually when they have just landed on the ground. He's also dive bombed a few when they've been on the wires. Same markings, same bird.
Another crow I've been watching appears to be stalking young rabbits. He lands well away from them and then makes his way towards them in a devious and roundabout route. I've seen him get within 5 or 6 feet but no kill yet. I wonder if it's related to the pigeon killer?

no avatar
tonyc

Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:29 pm

You said it was unusually large. Could it be a Raven? They are known for their aerial acrobatics.

no avatar
long jon

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:36 am

STONE THE CROWS!!! No perhaps not