Anyone have perm' on a farm?

no avatar
wastrel

Anyone have perm' on a farm?

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:04 pm

I wanted to find out how farmers & working dogs, deal with ticks, just removed one of the loathsome little buggers from one of my collies, if we know there is a chance of ticks on any walks we take them on, we put 'spot on' on their neck before hand although, just how effective it is is up for debate as we've brought them home with ticks attached regardless!
tried googling it but I must be phrasing it wrong as I'm getting nothing! I really hope there is an answer to this & not Nothing! I know to some farmers a dog is just another tool & don't get emotionally attached, but if you leave them on it increases the chance of Weils desease, a truly horrible thought!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Brooksy

Re: Anyone have perm' on a farm?

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 pm

As far as I can gather Fipronil, or Spot On kills the ticks via ingestion of blood, it cannot stop the tick attaching as it isn't active on the skin, only absorbed via.
It's a very effective anti parasitic, so much so that horses treated with it produce manure that won't rot by bacterial action.
Unfortunately the only way to remove ticks is by plucking the little horrors off. Keeping Muttleys coat short helps you to spot them.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.