Bailed out!

no avatar
wastrel

Bailed out!

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:32 am

first time I can remember not getting to work 'cos of the weather! Dunno what it`s like where you guys are, but here in S/west scotland, we`ve 3" of snow, I think the authorities have been caught out, I think the roads are unsalted!
Almost stuck my new Jazz in a ditch, time to bail, homeski, AAOC, coffee, that`ll do!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Roadworthy

Re: Bailed out!

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:07 pm

The most interesting thing (to me) about Wastrel's post is that he measures snow in inches. I thought the UK had completely gone metric. Perhaps that's only their official position and the populace thinks differently. Here in "The Colonies" we still use the "English system". We may be the last holdouts.

Timmytree

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Roadworthy wrote:The most interesting thing (to me) about Wastrel's post is that he measures snow in inches. I thought the UK had completely gone metric. Perhaps that's only their official position and the populace thinks differently. Here in "The Colonies" we still use the "English system". We may be the last holdouts.

A lot of us still use and think in the old measurements, maybe just out of bloodyminded stubbornness. An inch, foot, yard, etc all makes sense, pints are pints for a reason, it's the right sized glass for a beer. Litres are for continental fizzy beer drinkers.
If I pace out something in the garden, 16 feet is easy. I've got 2 feet not 0.6 of a bloody metre! We may be forced to go metric but it's surprising how many packets are 454 grammes (1lb).
Even material is sold by the metre but is generally 40 inches wide!
Long live proper units of measurement and coinage!

no avatar
FPoole

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:27 am

I was quite hot today. It was around 85f here. On a side note, I've noticed that my 5 gallon buckets of roof cement are no longer filled to the top. I was told they fill them by weight, but it is still 5 gallons and this isn't a weight. I then noticed the new stuff is 4.7 gallons and the price is the same. Is this all caused by the metric system? I thought the metric system was a system of measure, but it must actually be a way to fleece the public.

no avatar
Aitch

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:51 am

All of our road signs are in miles and yards, it's for when we come out of the common market, we are just waiting for the rest of Europe to move over here. :evil:

rogers1

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:28 pm

I was schooled in feet and inches, miles, furlongs, rods, poles & perches & chains
I joined the Royal Navy in 74 and learned SI (Systeme International)
I was also further taught in Imperial measures AND metric for all my fitting & turning & machining skills

I am truly Metriperial

I'll 'ave 6 metres of four by two please!
AA TX200 MkIII in .177 with a Viper
AA Ultimate Sporter in .177, JSR scope
Weihrauch HW45 in .177, No glass, save my old, weary eyes....