Top Gear

Blackbaronfish

Top Gear

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:54 pm

Just watched the new series of Top Gear and i must say i didnt miss the old crew :o :oops:

Awaits flack

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Top Gear

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:24 pm

im on the opposite side of the fence. for it to work it needs a fresh look, through my eyes it appeared someone driving another persons vehicle.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Not sure if I've mentioned it but ......i hate chris evans :x
For that reason i wont watch the new series
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
rhogg4696

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 am

eboswan wrote:Not sure if I've mentioned it but ......i hate chris evans :x
For that reason i wont watch the new series

I found it slightly better if you fast forwarded when chris evans was talking. But overall I thought it was very poor.

no avatar
Big Dog

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:04 am

I used to watch Clarkson and crew because at times they provided not only a comprehensive overview of many different types and styles of vehicle, but with it often came the sort of wit and humour that left me in stitches. For those of you who've ever watched the caravan race, you'll know exactly what I mean. Although I think that Jeremy Clarkson got far too big for his boots, the old Top Gear team had a great rapport with both each other and their audience.

I watched the new show with Chris Evans and Matt le Blanc and quite frankly, thought it was absolute garbage. At times Evans was clearly trying to do nothing more than emulate Jeremy Clarkson in tone and style - he failed miserably. Chris Evans's pretend enthusiasm and attempted wit was just so false.

I thought that the piece about the 'best car' was very crass given the current economical climate. I know many people who can barely afford to eat on a daily basis - whilst Evans was reveling about Gordon Ramsey's 9 month old £1.2million LaFerrari and the fact that he's just paid almost another £2million for another limited edition model. To me this part of the show was just about greed.

I did enjoy the competition between the 1 series landy and the Willy's jeep - probably because I own a number of genuine WWII dated Willy's.

darran77

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:14 pm

Evans has a selective sence of humor, but so does Clarkson. but quote of the show has to be from Evans whilst been chased by sabine schmitz,
" Have you ever had an angry German on your tail " :lol: .
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
zippy

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:42 pm

I did like the old Top Gear and the school boy humor With Clarkson etc. The three of them did work together well and it was a good show.
I liked the locations and places around the world they visited along with the fast cars and humor... and they made the stig a legend.

Mind you, Clarkson was getting to big for his boots and more arrogant. I liked his honesty, though, Clarkson was arrogant middle class and becoming a snob, However, the show did have some interesting aspects and had the right elements to make it fun to watch although, it was getting a little worn out as time went on. I met Clarkson personally at the London motor show in the late 90's and spoke to Clarkson he was witty and very honest and to the point on what he thought about cars and manufacturers which I did have some respect for his honesty and no BS views.

I don't mind Evans breakfast show on radio 2, but unsure about Top gear or what he could really bring to this new show. I guess we will have to watch it and find out if it improves over time or if it turns out to be utter rubbish.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

Blackbaronfish

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:29 am

So who would have been good to take over. They are big shoes to fill and not an easy task to walk in them.
I still say he did a good job :oops: . Nobody likes change and it could have been the BBC wanting the Clarkson format to remain....after all it was successful.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started