Putting down artificial grass........

no avatar
Big Dog

Putting down artificial grass........

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:59 pm

I live out on the Somerset Levels, it's a fabulous place to be, peaceful, lots of open space to walk on with the dog, not much of anything in the village but I like it. Unfortunately grass doesn't grow well here as my very small home is built on peat, which sits on clay. The land the house sits on has been raised but the garden gets waterlogged during some of the horrendous winter storms we have and any grass just ends up drowning, getting ripped up and turned into a quagmire by the dog or ends up covered in moss. So 2 years ago I dug the garden out, dropped in 5 tons of hardcore, then put 3 tons of Cotswold buff stone on top of it. Looked good for a couple of years but then I discovered artificial grass.............and just had to have a go at putting it down. First job however is to remove the 3 tons of Cotwold stone so that I can then lay down sharp sand as a base for the grass. Been shovelling for 2 days and I've only shifted 1 ton thus far. I'm getting too old for this!!

Blackbaronfish

Re: Putting down artificial grass........

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 pm

That's what my lad wants in his garden. I must admit you can get some lovely stuff. I still remember the astronomy turf from school. Now that was bad as stuff.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
GrandadG

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 pm

"Getting to old for this", i know the feeling mate :(
Get down to your local pub and look out for someone on "Jobseekers allowance" willing to help for a few bob. I'm sure there are many about who would be glad to earn some ready cash :D
HW100T .177
AA Prosport .177
AA S200 .177 Huma Reg

james79

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:34 pm

GrandadG wrote:"Getting to old for this", i know the feeling mate :(
Get down to your local pub and look out for someone on "Jobseekers allowance" willing to help for a few bob. I'm sure there are many about who would be glad to earn some ready cash :D

The brickie we got in for our extension tried this when he was (admittedly foolishly) trying to dig the foundations out by hand :? The lads in his local made it pretty clear it made more financial sense for them to "invest" their hard earned in online gambling! Needless to say we ended up with a mini-digger (which incidentally we had suggested in the first place :lol: ) ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
granville

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 pm

get a good clay fork easy digging .

no avatar
davyt63

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:52 pm

done the same in my back garden,12 ton of type one scalpings,then whacked.
then a ballast base and whacked,and 4 inches of sharp sand and whacked,then screeded to a level ,then just put the grass on top,and fixed to a 4x1 wooden border looks mint now.

but if you have dogs like i do,i would suggest you make an area where you can grow some grass,for the dogs when they feel ill,as mine have started to eat the artificial grass,lol.

real easy to do as well,plenty of YT vids to help you along the way.
did i mention,i have done one less meet then Ray, lol.