in mourning-for a plane!!

no avatar
wastrel

in mourning-for a plane!!

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:51 pm

in mourning, for my block plane! (stop smirking you lot!)
`old faithfull` has served me nearly 30 years, a gift from my late uncle John Brown, lost on a building site once, I was heart broken, found by another joiner, she`d been accidently taken outside in a stool I was using then left for about 3 weeks, but she was returned to me a little rusty, but with some TLC she was up & running again. she has gone through 2 blades (in my possession) & now, the `spurs` on the adjuster have simply worn out, no idea how old she actually is as the design was made from the 1940-1980`s.
to be replaced (or not-maybe) by this rather flash Quansheng brass & steel jobby, considerably heavier despite being slimmer, & a dammed site more expensive let me tell you!
the old girl could be repaired but it`d have to be machined & a new part made, probably more than she`s worth technically, but, my local precision engineering shop may yet get their hands on her if I don`t get on with this young upstart?
really sad about this. :cry:
Last edited by wastrel on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Targe

Re: in mourning-for a plane!!

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:22 pm

It's funny how we get attached to our tools

I'm guilty of this too :shock: :mrgreen:

no avatar
wastrel

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:45 pm

yup, had mine since I was an apprentice, it`s a 9 1/4" which isn`t as popular as the 9 1/2 which I never liked, mine`s lighter & I`ve never, ever felt the need to adjust the sole plate. the newbie has the adjuster so, perhaps I`ll find whatever the advantage is & use it in future.
other than my square I`m not really `attached` to much else! my hammer`s been changed so often & getting used less & less these days what with nailguns I no longer feel the same about it, but that plane is an old friend & used almost daily, gonna miss it.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
gary martin

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:31 pm

i know what you mean, i had to buy a plane not so long ago. went to my local hardware store looked around, could not find one! puzzled. asked the assistant for some help locating one. he took me to the area of the shop i had all ready been to and showed me something attached to a power cable complete with three pin plug. i did buy it with some sadness, harping back to my school wood working days, but the new fangled thing did the job. still mourn the spitfire and concord too.

Blackbaronfish

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:04 pm

I was in Axminster the other day and knocked one off a stand...nearly £400 :o

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Outandabout

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:36 pm

If you have a blacksmiths or engineering museum near you they may be able to help you out with the parts req?
Kevin

no avatar
granville

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:34 pm

i still have some kit from 1970 and still use it . :)

no avatar
wastrel

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:I was in Axminster the other day and knocked one off a stand...nearly £400 :o

BBF

Could you fill me in here Ray, cos I really wanna see a 400 smackers block plane?
is Axminster a place or shop?
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Brooksy

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:50 am

Trigger: And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.

Sid: How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?

Trigger: There's the picture. What more proof do you need?
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:25 pm

wastrel wrote:
Blackbaronfish wrote:I was in Axminster the other day and knocked one off a stand...nearly £400 :o

BBF

Could you fill me in here Ray, cos I really wanna see a 400 smackers block plane?
is Axminster a place or shop?

The one I knocked over was only a small thing. Looking on their web site the block planes are under £200.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started