car maintenance.

no avatar
billywhizz

Re: car maintenance.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:11 pm

im the same i worked all my life in various garages and dealerships, now im retired i thought this is it no more dirty finger nails and sore back, but no ive started to service the 2010 golf tdi we bought a short while ago ( just for fun) , fairly basic stuff ,but i did have to buy a diagnostic unit to link in and do certain things, the worst bit is the add ons that are there to try and sort out the dirty particals in the exhaust emissions,( bloody dpf and egr valves what a pain in the butt) they cost the motorist an arm and leg when they have to be changed. hey ho, its all good fun.wish i had kept my motorcycle that was my passion riding and working on it from new ones too ww2 ones, nice.

no avatar
zippy

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:28 pm

[quote="billywhizz"]im the same i worked all my life in various garages and dealerships, now im retired i thought this is it no more dirty finger nails and sore back, but no ive started to service the 2010 golf tdi we bought a short while ago ( just for fun) , fairly basic stuff ,but i did have to buy a diagnostic unit to link in and do certain things, the worst bit is the add ons that are there to try and sort out the dirty particals in the exhaust emissions,( bloody dpf and egr valves what a pain in the butt) they cost the motorist an arm and leg when they have to be changed. hey ho, its all good fun.wish i had kept my motorcycle that was my passion riding and working on it from new ones too ww2 ones, nice

Be very careful when changing the fuel filter on your VW golf mate Because when you replace the Fuel filter it is empty of fuel and it takes time for the fuel pump to fill it, so it is running a while this then puts a fault code on the ECU, and then puts on a warning light, the car will absolutely not start until you plug in a code reset tool and reset the ECU and the warning light is out. You may have to reset the ECU a few times until the fuel filter is primed and the full fuel pressure is resumed. If the fuel pump runs without pressure, or for a longer preset time it puts the car in not start mode on the ECU this is programmed safety feature in the event of a crash to cut off the fuel.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

no avatar
neil

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:05 am

zippy wrote:
billywhizz wrote:im the same i worked all my life in various garages and dealerships, now im retired i thought this is it no more dirty finger nails and sore back, but no ive started to service the 2010 golf tdi we bought a short while ago ( just for fun) , fairly basic stuff ,but i did have to buy a diagnostic unit to link in and do certain things, the worst bit is the add ons that are there to try and sort out the dirty particals in the exhaust emissions,( bloody dpf and egr valves what a pain in the butt) they cost the motorist an arm and leg when they have to be changed. hey ho, its all good fun.wish i had kept my motorcycle that was my passion riding and working on it from new ones too ww2 ones, nice

Be very careful when changing the fuel filter on your VW golf mate Because when you replace the Fuel filter it is empty of fuel and it takes time for the fuel pump to fill it, so it is running a while this then puts a fault code on the ECU, and then puts on a warning light, the car will absolutely not start until you plug in a code reset tool and reset the ECU and the warning light is out. You may have to reset the ECU a few times until the fuel filter is primed and the full fuel pressure is resumed. If the fuel pump runs without pressure, or for a longer preset time it puts the car in not start mode on the ECU this is programmed safety feature in the event of a crash to cut off the fuel.

on these there is a fuel pump in the tank, just cycle the ignition on and off 4 or 5 times leaving ig on for about 5 seconds between cycles, never had problems with them, bloody fords on the other hand, even with dealer bleeding gear can be absolute sods

no avatar
billywhizz

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:27 pm

zippy and neil thanks for the words of wisdom, the diagnostic plug in ive got allows you too run the fuel pump for a 30 second periods too prime the system , my biggest concern is the screwy readings im getting for the soot levels in the dpf ,minus readings some times? ah well im sure it will throw up the dreaded orange light soon enough and then i can spend about £1400 too get it fixed.hey ho ,maybe i should buy a cycle and keep fit at the same time.

no avatar
neil

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:00 am

billywhizz wrote:zippy and neil thanks for the words of wisdom, the diagnostic plug in ive got allows you too run the fuel pump for a 30 second periods too prime the system , my biggest concern is the screwy readings im getting for the soot levels in the dpf ,minus readings some times? ah well im sure it will throw up the dreaded orange light soon enough and then i can spend about £1400 too get it fixed.hey ho ,maybe i should buy a cycle and keep fit at the same time.

got 2 choices with DPF`s, thrash the hell out of it to burn the crud down or take it off and punch a sodding great hole through the core, its short runs or driving like a fanny that causes most problems with them (and make sure your oil is ok with DPF systems, something that a lot forget when they go to halfords and only look at the price tags)

no avatar
billywhizz

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:51 pm

with my mk6 thrashing seems to make it worse the dpf levels dont go down even on a long motorway run, its doing a regen every 300 miles ish , on the mk6 the dpf and cat are one unit so its kinda imposible too poke a hole through it unless you cut the bottom off and do it that way.was looking at the new suzki vitara today 1.6 petrol version ,nice bit of kit not expensive but i dont have the money at the moment for that sort of thing.maybe use the bus or a bicycle ,ha ha .

Raj

Mon May 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Ooooh ... I missed your return! Welcome back, Nick 8-) :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"