Buying one of these....

rogers1

Buying one of these....

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm off down to Northallerton on Sunday to pick up one of these. Second hand, but a good bit of kit with loads of extras.

I have my wetsuit ordered, got the garmin and floating VHF, my PFD, rods. reels, blah blah

Gonna have fun!

The monster pollock in the gullies around St Abbs head are getting my attention very soon..... (probably in the spring, as I'm going to be using the yak inland to get fit before I hit the briny)

Can't bloody wait!

Yours, Ishmael
AA TX200 MkIII in .177 with a Viper
AA Ultimate Sporter in .177, JSR scope
Weihrauch HW45 in .177, No glass, save my old, weary eyes....

Geordie

Re: Buying one of these....

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:58 pm

Swing South at St Abbes and pull in at Blythe pier Duncs. :D

Look forward to seeing some good specimen pics mate 8-)
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

Katzenjammer

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:03 am

A friend of Pat G and mine at Woodview, one Chris Newman, kayaked across the Atlantic in one of these. He was accompanied by his brother in a similar vessel. This was way back in the 90's. They kayaked down to Lisbon thence to the Canaries and across from there to the Caribbean. Caught fish on the way over, whose oil and scent as it dried on the hull then attracted sharks, who overturned the kayaks to get the meat :shock: They used an old tyre towed behind them in high wave conditions to keep the craft on an even keel. I think they also sailed across in a multihulled boat of their own construction.

Mad, as Pat will attest. A easy rival for Grylls in survival imo. Almost a Mears I would say. Chris and his brother are currently somewhere in the Australian outback panning for gold.

I don't know what route you have planned round whyayepethinnypetbuggerland but I would avoid the Western Bypass around the Metro centre and go via the A19 and the tunnel. ;)
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
zippy

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Very cool, indeed.

Some great outdoor adventures to be had with this, along with keeping fit and healthy... :D
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

no avatar
GrandadG

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:13 pm

That looks great!
I'll watch out for you next spring when my wife and i will be staying in Burnmouth for a couple of weeks.
If i spot you from St Abbs, i'll wave my Air Arms cap, so you'll know it's me :mrgreen:
HW100T .177
AA Prosport .177
AA S200 .177 Huma Reg

rogers1

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:14 pm

cheers for the comments guys, we did use the A19, and avoid all the roadworks through Gateshead (been there recently)

Picked up said 'yak, got loads of extras, Been doing lots of preps, installing anchor trolley system etc, and getting my old dive reel converted for suspended use with a buoy so I can jettison if I need to.
Vid watching to get up to speed on all the safety stuff. Will be doing a shed load of (freshwater) paddling to get conditioned over the winter

Burnmouth is one of our destinations Grandad G, as the fishing off there is stupendous (fished it from a big boat) you can't hardly fish from the shore at all (as you know) the cliffs don't allow it, and boats don't like it due to all the outcrops & underwater hazards. Kayaks are the way forward!

I have it hidden currently, so my eldest can't see it, as his fiancee has bought him a brand new one as a wedding gift (Oct 17th!) He's got all his fitting out to do over winter too.

Pics to follow!

Ishmael

rogers1

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:46 pm

The actual animal... My wife named it for me. After a bungalow we used to rent at Beadnell back in the 70's. Happy memories
And the drop anchor system I knocked up for it.. So I can just jettison the anchor by uncleating one line if I get wrong footed by the tide or wind..