Car remote fix saves..£££

no avatar
zippy

Car remote fix saves..£££

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:17 am

Okay Chaps hope all is well, and your are enjoying the lovely weather... :D

Well, had an issue with one of my remote keys for the BMW, it would not unlock/lock the doors when pressing the key... :( or switch off the alarm. there is however an emergency back up metal key hidden inside the key fob to allow you to enter the car.

There is Quite a lot of technology involved with this key fob, and the car,,, firstly the BMW's have start buttons on the dash one pushes the key fob into a slot on the dashboard then the driver holds down the clutch pedal, press the start button and then car starts.

Wile the key fob is pushed into the cars slot it is getting charged by a sort of magnetic field signal, there is a small button size Lithium technology battery VL2020 installed inside the key fob.
These key fobs and battery are sealed units although they normally last 10,years or 80,000 miles before replacement. although if the spare key fob is put away for emergency's the battery gets discharged and sometimes will not recharge when used in the car. these key fobs are meant to be used with the car to keep charged.

BMW, Dealers,,, want anything from £200, £300 for replacement key fob and programming this price can be up too over £500 for lost broken key fobs on newer cars depending on Spec.

I do have another spare key although really you need 2 keys in-case you lose one or damage it. as your going nowhere.

Here bellow is my solution to the problem see bellow... :D I used much better parts and much high Quality VL2020 battery and key fob case.

See bellow my fix,,, this guy in the video is not me!,,, and is rather dangerous working practice.... :shock:

the key fob bellow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DCDpwG-TA4

The rechargeable Lithium VL2020 Battery.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coin-butt ... s/0407877/

This saved me over £200-£300 for key fob from BMW.

It works a charm..... :D
Last edited by zippy on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

roadrunner

Re: Car remote fix saves..£££

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Dealers dont make much from keys or programming them in, manufactures dictate the parts price and suggested labour rate for differant areas of the uk, i get a little fed up of hearing about robbing dealers when in fact the dealer and company i work for "Autoworld" Chesterfield turns over 80 million pounds a year but profit for the owner after every thing is payed for is only 1.1 million, an awlful lot of effort for little reward and high risk, we have a SEAT franshise and after a recent audit the manufacturer has made us buy £1200.00 of new special tools even though we already have them, there excuse is the part number for the new tools now carry an A at the end
Sorry for been off but please dont think dealers are robbers, lots of smaller dealers have closed becouse they carnt afford investment the manufactures demand