bow hunting whitetail this year...

no avatar
zingpow

bow hunting whitetail this year...

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:23 pm

it's been a few years but getting my grandson up and running in archery put the bug back in me...dipped and fletched some new shafts, cut them to size, put a new fast flight string on my high country and have been watching the deer every morning and evening since the opening day of bow season on october 1...two nights ago before i was ready a nice 10 point came sniffing through and just kept on going, never saw him again...two brothers i've seen since they were in velvet stop in regularly but they're young bucks, a 4pt and a 6pt and smallish at that...the 10pt is a big deer and his rack will go on my grandson's wall, his hide on my grandson's bed and venison in the freezer...i love venison soup/stew with homemade bread and a beer (or three)...i'm getting old guys...my grandchildren are the love of my life...my best to you...i miss you all...zing of the wild frontier...
time traveler, meat eater, mad as a box of frogs

I'm not the anti-Christ but I know him, and he owes me money

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: bow hunting whitetail this year...

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 pm

Evening Tim,
How I would love too spend a few days sitting In your world :D sounds bliss :D
My grandson is only five so a few more years before I can take him out hunting,I can't wait I could do with someone too carry y shooting bag :mrgreen:
Hope your all well.
Brian
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Raj

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Butt naked on a deer skin rug ??? :P :lol:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
zingpow

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:52 pm

eboswan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 pm
Evening Tim,
How I would love too spend a few days sitting In your world :D sounds bliss :D
My grandson is only five so a few more years before I can take him out hunting,I can't wait I could do with someone too carry y shooting bag :mrgreen:
Hope your all well.
Brian
life is good brian...rode the rocket 3 150 miles yesterday on m-50 to dundee mi (cabelas) and got my grandson a 3 finger glove for his bow...the ride was incredible with like zero traffic through rolling hills ablaze with the colors of autumn and a pure blue sky and the last 60f day i fear, next two weeks all lower 50's to freezing and lots of rain...you guys make an incredible motorcycle...zing of the colonies...

ps...i am the grandpa of destiny...zp...

no avatar
zingpow

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 pm

Raj wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:39 pm
Butt naked on a deer skin rug ??? :P :lol:
if it goes on my grandson's bed you betcha...his little brother revels in running around the house after his bath with his junk in the breeze and hides in the covers on his big brother's bed...zp...

Blackbaronfish

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Good to hear from you and to see your doing just dandy. It’s just started to drop in temperature here and the rain comes most days. It won’t be as cold as you have it :o
I skinned a Muntjack not long ago and cured the hide. It certainly wouldn’t be big enough for a bed spread and would even struggle to make slippers :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Keep us updated on you grand kids first blood as I’m too still waiting for mine to be big enough to accompany me on a shoot

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
zingpow

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:05 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 pm
Good to hear from you and to see your doing just dandy. It’s just started to drop in temperature here and the rain comes most days. It won’t be as cold as you have it :o
I skinned a Muntjack not long ago and cured the hide. It certainly wouldn’t be big enough for a bed spread and would even struggle to make slippers :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Keep us updated on you grand kids first blood as I’m too still waiting for mine to be big enough to accompany me on a shoot

BBF
oh my grandson just turned 5...i'll take him out in the wood with his bow to stalk but not to shoot...his arrows are sharp but would bounce off a deer a 20 yards...his physical strength will determine when he gets a shot, my guess 13 or 14...zp...

no avatar
zingpow

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:41 pm

nice 8 point...not huge but it will fill the freezer...probably a 180lb deer on the hoof 150 gutted out...rack maybe 20 inches across with 5 & 6 inch brow tines...got it with my high country compound bow at about 25 yards...zing of the wild frontier...

ps...i turned 70 recently...if i have anything left i might take another one in two or three years but time will tell...zp...

no avatar
zingpow

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:23 am

i got 13.5lbs (pounds) of tenderloin off the 8pt and put it in the freezer then had the meat shop down the road take the rest and make 3-4.5lb summer sausages, 3-3lb bags of smoked meat sticks that i gave to the kids at thanksgiving last week, and 3-3lb packages of the best venison jerkey i ever ate that i kept all for myself...first time in my life i didn't turn the whole thing into steaks for the freezer but i ran out of time leaving town...it all worked out and the kids say the smoked products are very good indeed...i put plenty of pickings into ziplocks for stew as well...

there is a smaller 8pt stopping by every other night or so...kids say they would take more if i happen to whack another one...we'll see...zing of the wild frontier...

Raj

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Mmmmm .... Venison sausages. :D So good to see you keeping up the good life, Tim.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"