Mentoring

james79

Mentoring

Mon May 18, 2015 11:01 pm

OK! I've recently applied for my FAC for .22lr and .17hmr. My background is that I've held an SGC for 20 years, shot .22s for the school team and 5.56 l98a1s in the ccf plus air rifles since the age of 8. I've just had my interview with the feo and he seemed quite happy to grant my certificate for the above mentioned rifles but as he was about finished mentioned something about my dad being a suitable mentor. I'm guessing that this means he's thinking about putting a mentoring condition on my certificate, has anyone else experienced this for rimfire and any idea how long it lasts and how you get it removed? To say its a pita is an understatement because if one of us has the time to shoot the other is usually busy on the farm! The whole point of me applying was that we could split the pest control duties a bit more!!!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
air gun

Re: Mentoring

Mon May 18, 2015 11:13 pm

hi mate. I was thinking about getting a FAC. what condisions did you have to meet to get one.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

james79

Mon May 18, 2015 11:17 pm

air gun wrote:hi mate. I was thinking about getting a FAC. what condisions did you have to meet to get one.

I haven't got it yet but I think the general criteria are a good reason to have one and access to land or a range to shoot :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
air gun

Mon May 18, 2015 11:25 pm

james79 wrote:
air gun wrote:hi mate. I was thinking about getting a FAC. what condisions did you have to meet to get one.

I haven't got it yet but I think the general criteria are a good reason to have one and access to land or a range to shoot :D

thanks buddy. best of luck getting it.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

Blackbaronfish

Tue May 19, 2015 5:24 am

Most newbies will get a mentor. Use it as a positive. Your Dad will take you out for the first month or so and show you the ropes. The ropes being safety,safety,safety, back stops and when not to take a shot. You will find there are more shots you cant take than ones that you can. After the first month or so he can write to the FEO asking for the mentor condition to be lifted. It will be your Dads choice when your ready as he will be putting his name to it, so let him make it without hinderence. Once the FEO is happy he will leave you alone....until you want open ticket anyway :mrgreen:
Good luck

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Kwaka

Tue May 19, 2015 7:45 am

Interesting article here!

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/is ... cate-14186

If you are a member of BASC or another shooting organisation it may pay you to have a word with them.
S400 Classic .22
Beretta 682 Gold E 30" O/U M/C
Sabel SxS 28" F/C
CZ 455 Varmint .22lr SAK moderator

no avatar
Phil B

Wed May 20, 2015 3:46 pm

No one can argue against safe use of firearms and I have acted as referee for several applications for an FAC. The mentoring is up for discussion along the lines of 'who tests the testers' but if it means that someone is a safer shot and the sport's reputation is enhanced then I wouldn't quibble myself.

james79

Fri May 22, 2015 9:54 pm

As ever thanks for the input chaps, much appreciated. I think I've probably read the article kwaka linked somewhere before which is kind of why I was after peoples opinions on the mentoring condition. If I'm honest I don't want to fall out with my local feo by going to basc and making a fuss I'm just a little tee'd off that the guy seems to have adLib decided to nominate my dad as a mentor, "A" because it will be less than convenient to the pair of us and "B" because he's not exactly my first choice of companion for a nights shooting :roll:

Blackbaronfish

Fri May 22, 2015 10:28 pm

You could ask on the BBS to see if there are any local to yourself that could do it.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started