Please dont laugh

no avatar
sparrowhawkfalconer

Please dont laugh

Tue May 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi guys, i have a rather embarassing question regarding filling a s410. When i fill up i only go to 185 bar never to the top, is this correct can you fill it up and it makes a noise or somthing so doesnt let any more air in. I appreaciate your time and i hope i didnt make you laugh to much :lol:

Timmytree

Re: Please dont laugh

Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 pm

That sounds about right! Overfilling is dangerous. Ideally you need to know the beginning of the "sweet spot" for your rifle and only fill to that point, that could be anywhere in the 170 - 190 bar range. Any extra is pretty much wasted air.

no avatar
Axelrod

Tue May 12, 2015 4:30 pm

No questions are stupid in the search for knowledge. dave

no avatar
Outandabout

Tue May 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Most of us at 1 time or another have asked what we consider to be daft questions. BUT if you dont ask you wont find out. And better to ask and think you look silly rather thank think its right and get hurt.
Kevin

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Tue May 12, 2015 7:08 pm

sparrowhawkfalconer wrote:Hi guys, i have a rather embarassing questionask away mate as long as its not about bodily fluids :shock: regarding filling a s410. When i fill up i only go to 185 bar never to the top, is this correct as timmys answer can you fill it up and it makes a noiseif its a squeak that the filling valve opening its fine or somthing so doesnt let any more air inare you filling from a cylinder or pump if its from a bottle it may have reached its equilibrium . I appreaciate your time and i hope i didnt make you laugh to much :lol:
only a tiny snigger ;)
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

roadrunner

Tue May 12, 2015 7:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
well some had to laugh after all
fill the rifle to 190 bar and shoot it down to 100 bar record ever shot over a chronagraph in fps using the same pellet, you can then plot a graph which will show you exactly where the sweat is and how many shots are useable, you can also decide wheather you want to shoot at tight 10 fps spread or say a 20 fps depending if chasing outright accuaracy or general plinking or short range pest control i shoot in the sweat spot with a 15fps spread with gives me 65 on target shots from 165-120 bar

no avatar
devonhunter

Tue May 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Timmytree wrote:That sounds about right! Overfilling is dangerous. Ideally you need to know the beginning of the "sweet spot" for your rifle and only fill to that point, that could be anywhere in the 170 - 190 bar range. Any extra is pretty much wasted air.

in addition to this tim if i fill over 145 then my gun is not accurate really and i only find my sweet spot to be from 140 to 95 which i have nver really questioned its just the way it is i suppose if this aint normal however can someone tell me thank you :D
AA S410 .22 LH walnut stock MTC viper 10x44 harris 1A2-H bipod

Raj

Tue May 12, 2015 8:47 pm

I have been re-reading the OP. He may be referring to the designed weakness engineered into the end of the cylinder. To stop the cylinder from exploding, they have thinned the wall of the pressure vessel close to the end. When you hit a critical pressure - usually above the 200 bar mark, it will bulge out. This bulging will also cause a leak at the bulged end (because the threads are deformed) which means the pressure vessel cannot be inflated any further. Once it gets to this stage the cylinder is a write off and you will need a new one.
Best not to go anywhere near that - especially in an unregulated rifle.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

raygun

Tue May 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi Raj,
I could be wrong but I thought that the pressure required to "Bulge" the cylinder was around 220/230bar.

Always thought that this was a bit on the low side when you can make the cylinder substantial enough to cater for the available pressure.
Wouldn't like to be holding one when it "Bulged" :shock:

ATB
Ray.

Raj

Tue May 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Yeah ... 220 ~230 bar seems about right from what I have heard too. Even on my regulated rifles, I only fill to 200 bar. :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"