regulated or unregulated

no avatar
air gun

regulated or unregulated

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:49 pm

I see a lot of high end guns now are not regulated. the ftp900 is a regulated gun. but the s400s and s500s are not. the hft 500 is not. the electronic daystates are. but the rest are not. even FX guns are only regulated as a extra. I think its crazy that all top pcp guns are not regulated tbh. so a 100 shot unregulated pcp with a 40 shot sweet spot is really a 40 shot pcp. I know at 30yard range in .177 wont have a massive drop in poi. but still. I would much rarther have a reg on my gun.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

no avatar
granville

Re: regulated or unregulated

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:25 pm

i have my r 10 which is reged , put 232 bar in it and get big shot count.
i have huntsman no reg at 45 yards the huntsman will group tighter over 40 shots .
410 no reg will shoot just as good over the 40 shots and group as good as the r 10.
its if you want regulated pressure that stays constant till it, hit 100 bar or so .
the gun with reg should give more shots.

no avatar
air gun

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:50 pm

granville wrote:i have my r 10 which is reged , put 232 bar in it and get big shot count.
i have huntsman no reg at 45 yards the huntsman will group tighter over 40 shots .
410 no reg will shoot just as good over the 40 shots and group as good as the r 10.
its if you want regulated pressure that stays constant till it, hit 100 bar or so .
the gun with reg should give more shots.

but any gun with a reg should be better than the same gun without a reg is what im thinking. of could I be wrong.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

darran77

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:58 pm

regged or not my own opinion is it depends on just how many shots you need.
Ok so we have the R10 loads of shots from a big cylinder and if the reg works right then they are constant, yes
Then we have the AA's un regged but with a lower shot count, my TDR .177 gives me 40-50 shots in the sweet spot, just like a regged gun.
Can't comment on the daystates as i have not owned one (need a lotto win) but the high price ones are electronic regged and the rest are sweet
spot guns.
And as for the HW's i have a HW100 and after 4 mags (48 shots) i have to refill and thats a regged gun.
The thing is unless i am plinking i don't need 200+ shots, as even a good session in the field or even the barn won't use up my shot count,
ok i did have to re fill the TDR once on a good pigeon shoot.
What i am saying is if its a big shot count then either get a regged gun with a big cylinder,or a lower shot count gun that you can learn the sweet spot range.
daz
Oh just remember with a big cylinder gun once you have depleted the air below the reg pressure you will have to fill it up and if you don't have a cylinder
that's a lot of pumping, and i can guarantee i will have re filled both my TDR and the HW and be back shooting long before you get your cylinder up to 150 bar
or maybe less.
lol
IFAC member

no avatar
air gun

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:12 pm

darran77 wrote:regged or not my own opinion is it depends on just how many shots you need.
Ok so we have the R10 loads of shots from a big cylinder and if the reg works right then they are constant, yes
Then we have the AA's un regged but with a lower shot count, my TDR .177 gives me 40-50 shots in the sweet spot, just like a regged gun.
Can't comment on the daystates as i have not owned one (need a lotto win) but the high price ones are electronic regged and the rest are sweet
spot guns.
And as for the HW's i have a HW100 and after 4 mags (48 shots) i have to refill and thats a regged gun.
The thing is unless i am plinking i don't need 200+ shots, as even a good session in the field or even the barn won't use up my shot count,
ok i did have to re fill the TDR once on a good pigeon shoot.
What i am saying is if its a big shot count then either get a regged gun with a big cylinder,or a lower shot count gun that you can learn the sweet spot range.
daz
Oh just remember with a big cylinder gun once you have depleted the air below the reg pressure you will have to fill it up and if you don't have a cylinder
that's a lot of pumping, and i can guarantee i will have re filled both my TDR and the HW and be back shooting long before you get your cylinder up to 150 bar
or maybe less.
lol

I have a mct air wolf. and a mk4 is. both .177. I recharge the wolf after 350 shots. ( but it does have a 500cc bottle ) and at 40 yards it has no poi drop. the mk4 I charge at 150 shots. and again no change of poi at 40 odd yards. but I have seen people on the daystate forum say a regal has a 40 shot sweet spot at 45 yards. but daystate say its a 90 shot gun. so that's more shots out of the sweet spot than shots in it. I get what your saying about how many shots you really need. but a new regal is a £900 gun. and to have 40 sweet shots out of the 90 daystate say is not great really.

no avatar
OUTCAST

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:55 am

if your gun don't have a reg fit one .
used to shoot none reg guns and its a pain fill to X shoot 40 shots refill .
As with a reg fitted you up your shot count that shoots at say 780fps till it gets to the bottom of the reg with about 5fps in all the shots .
I get 100+ shots from 200 bar down to 100 bar that run 786fps to 780fps and when it hits the 100 bar I get a 10mm drop in P.O.I. at 55yds .
So I would get a reg fitted to a none reg gun all day ..

no avatar
steve cartledge

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:44 pm

OUTCAST wrote:if your gun don't have a reg fit one .
used to shoot none reg guns and its a pain fill to X shoot 40 shots refill .
As with a reg fitted you up your shot count that shoots at say 780fps till it gets to the bottom of the reg with about 5fps in all the shots .
I get 100+ shots from 200 bar down to 100 bar that run 786fps to 780fps and when it hits the 100 bar I get a 10mm drop in P.O.I. at 55yds .
So I would get a reg fitted to a none reg gun all day ..

Well I wouldn't, it's just one thing more to go wrong. I've got a s400k that I can use on the zero range and then shoot a competition (HFT) without an issue. If you're hunting why would you want to carry 40 or more rabbits. If you consider the cost (which you wont get back) against a tune and polish there's only a marginal improvement.

Steve C.

Timmytree

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Fit a rifle with a regulator and you need to fill to a much higher pressure to make best use of it. That isn't easy with a pump or when your bottle gets low.
My S200 only needs filling to 155 bar for 45 good shots, that's easy for me, just a few minutes of gentle exercise. Filling a rifle to 200 bar + ? I wouldn't want to thanks! :D

roadrunner

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Timmytree wrote:Fit a rifle with a regulator and you need to fill to a much higher pressure to make best use of it. That isn't easy with a pump or when your bottle gets low.
My S200 only needs filling to 155 bar for 45 good shots, that's easy for me, just a few minutes of gentle exercise. Filling a rifle to 200 bar + ? I wouldn't want to thanks! :D

and thats why quality spring rifles are the best,all day fun with no bottles or penis pumps to drag about :o :o :oops: :oops: :oops:

no avatar
VEG

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:10 pm

why would a reged rifle need to be pressurised more?