Buying from the E.U.

bgaltd

Re: Buying from the E.U.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:09 pm

piggy589 wrote:
bgaltd wrote:
piggy589 wrote:I asked a local dealer for a discount on a new HW and the reply was there's only ten percent mark up in the sale.
The best he could do was add a tin of H and N pellets,I couldn't help but notice his new Defender complete with a private plate parked outside.

his new defender wont be from selling air guns believe me :( :( :( .

Fair comment, I'd have to admit the dealer in question is also a large scale arable farmer,it was the 10% claim that annoyed me.

why did it annoy you ? didn't you believe that he was only making 10% on airguns ?

no avatar
piggy589

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:26 pm

why did it annoy you ? didn't you believe that he was only making 10% on airguns ?[/quote]
No I didn't believe him,then again perhaps he was telling the truth?
A pal of mine runs a dairy farm and an outdoor amusement park,he admitted to me a few years ago that without the park he couldn't afford to continue producing milk.

raygun

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Looking at the price differential between what's charged in the U.K. and what you can buy for from E.U. Dealers there is obviously a big difference.

If it's not the U.K. Dealers then it's someone else raking in the "Lions Share". Either the Distributors or the Manufacturers. It makes no sense that a £2000 rifle in the U.K. can be "Bought in" from the E.U. for £1600.
Someone, somewhere is pocketing the £400. Lower cost rifles obviously have lesser savings but the same principle applies.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
air gun

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:43 pm

raygun wrote:Looking at the price differential between what's charged in the U.K. and what you can buy for from E.U. Dealers there is obviously a big difference.

If it's not the U.K. Dealers then it's someone else raking in the "Lions Share". Either the Distributors or the Manufacturers. It makes no sense that a £2000 rifle in the U.K. can be "Bought in" from the E.U. for £1600.
Someone, somewhere is pocketing the £400. Lower cost rifles obviously have lesser savings but the same principle applies.

ATB
Ray.

There is a old saying mate. To a starving man a slice of bread is worth more than a bag of gold. No point asking 2k for a gun in poland. It would never sell.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

raygun

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:14 pm

Germany, Holland etc are hardly poor countries. The rifle is priced the same there.

Don't understand your reasoning. The rifle is priced virtually the same throughout the E.U. it's just in the U.K. it attracts the extra £400.

There is also a very nice laminate stocked S200 available for a very good price from the Czech Republic.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
air gun

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:34 pm

raygun wrote:Germany, Holland etc are hardly poor countries. The rifle is priced the same there.

Don't understand your reasoning. The rifle is priced virtually the same throughout the E.U. it's just in the U.K. it attracts the extra £400.

There is also a very nice laminate stocked S200 available for a very good price from the Czech Republic.

ATB
Ray.
i was looking on air arms site for world wide dealers. The cheapest i found was poland. New zeland and canada pay more than us. But when things are up for sale the price is inline with how poor the country is. But as you say holland and garmany are not poor countrys.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

bgaltd

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:26 am

why did it annoy you ? didn't you believe that he was only making 10% on airguns ?
piggy589 wrote:No I didn't believe him,then again perhaps he was telling the truth?
A pal of mine runs a dairy farm and an outdoor amusement park,he admitted to me a few years ago that without the park he couldn't afford to continue producing milk.

i'm lucky to make 10% on any of the guns i buy new from any of the manufacturers if i want to be competitive , i can make more money on second hand (when i can get them :( :( ) .

the likes of Sportsman will import HW themselves cutting out Hull so can always undercut anyone else on price , in most cases they will sell for less than i can buy them for trade :shock: :shock: :shock: .

next time your passing this way piggy i'll show you the piss poor mark ups on airguns :( :( .

no avatar
chris.e

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:55 am

A close friend of mine recently told me that the RFD he knows quite well told him that he makes more money on second hand guns than he does new. So that backs up what Julian is saying but like Ray says, someone is making a nice profit somewhere along the line.. and the line isn't that long.

no avatar
piggy589

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 am

piggy i'll show you the piss poor mark ups on airguns :( :( .[/quote]
I'll take your word on that one,I'd compare it to motor trade retailers making hefty profits on the sale of used cars, but often reliant on finance packages,extended warranties and accessory sales to show a decent profit on new vehicles.
It sounds as if we should be grateful that anyone bothers to set up as a retailer of new air guns.
All the best

no avatar
Phil B

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:12 am

Anyone that remembers Sir John Harvey Jones, Chairman of ICI, will remember that he always said that you sell a product at what the market will stand not what it's worth. On the whole, I would rather pay more locally than deal with an unknown operating out of a back garden shed in Latvia. We are an expensive country and it is unlikely that our deliberations on this site will change that so do what you consider best but whatever the Latin is - let the buyer beware!