prosport spring twang and my theory

roadrunner

prosport spring twang and my theory

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Ive just serviced my PS around 6 months after it was last apart,the rifle is .177 and welsh willy kitted,but it always required a service every 6 months with the stock AA spring and guides,now i may have caused the need for a service as i remember squirting via a straw some barrel cleaner down the barrel without the gun cocked,so anyway it started dieselling and the twang soon followed
i stripped the gun cleaned out the comp tube,piston and checked the seals,coated the piston with the WW moly slide and rebuilt the gun with both the slip washers just to restore the spring length loss due to running a titan spring,i never touched the spring other than removing and refitting,
So now after only relubing the piston the twang, dieselling and poor accuracy is all gone and its silky smooth

So to all that say a tight fitting spring guide stops twang well i dont think so, the twang is a result of the piston been out of control due to lube issues, mine has a tight fitting spring guide and the spring still had a light coating of grease but it still twanged when the piston lube went away or was thinned by the the barrel cleaning fluid

no avatar
Roadworthy

Re: prosport spring twang and my theory

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:56 am

I don't have any twang. I'm running the original spring and seal. I did have twang but I polished the spring ends, applied a bit of lube (moly grease) to the exterior of the spring and the twang went away. I don't have a very tight spring guide - about 0.010" clearance, or about 0.25 mm I think.