BSA Greenstar in Ultimate Sporter

no avatar
Carrott Adrian

BSA Greenstar in Ultimate Sporter

Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:34 pm

Hi All,

Just bought some BSA Greenstars but haven't had chance to try them in my Ultimate Sporter .22 yet. I know lead-free haven't generally had good reviews. They are a long pellet (typically 8.48mm. AA Fields are 7.46), this may be good news as my US doesn't like short pellets (Kaisers, H&N FTT, Accupel etc.).
Has anyone had any success with them? I have a feeling that we will all be going down the lead-free route in a few years time. Lead use is banned for fuels, lubricants and fishing so it's got to happen.
I've just used up my last good tin of AA Fields and I was getting 5p groups or better at 25 yds. The next tin (a different batch) was more like 50p. I tried Napier Pellet Lube - which I had used before with little effect - and this brought the group in progressively. After four 5-shot spots, the last spot was back to 5p size.

I'm wondering if this is a coincidence. Unfortunately, I ran out of range time and I now have Covid, so lots of time for head scratching at the moment.
Has anyone had similar results with Pellet Lube?

Incidentally, the 'bad' batch was 24 2.2.2021 5,52 S0 07. I did look into an RFD for more tins, but they had gone up from £15 to £23 and had the label XX 2.2.2020 5,52 S0 07.
XX because I can't remember the die number. A bit cheeky to raise the price of pellets made in 2020 IMO :shock: