Alpha Chrony problems

no avatar
davidjamesinc

Alpha Chrony problems

Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:39 pm

Hi guys. I have posed this problem on another forum as I was having some problems logging in to this one. However now it's all fixed I'll post it here.

This is a wee bit long winded but here we go. I've recently bought a HW45 and a SMK CP1. I purchased the 45 first. I ran 100 pellets through it and then decided to run it across the Chrony. It was averaging around 490fps with Superdomes which is around 4.5 ftlb. As the claim for this gun on Weihrauch's site was 5.5 ftlb I was of course worried.

I rang Hull Cartridge and they were very helpful and explained that I should run at least another 200 through it and if it was performing I should return it. I ran another 300 through and figures were much the same. I took it back to Protek who were great about the whole thing. Eventually It was returned and while I was collecting it I picked up a CP1.This was last week.

My reason for both of these pistols was to shoot long distance pistol competitions, hence the higher power choices. Well today I got the chance to get out and have a play with them both.I ran a few rounds through them and then got the Chrony out again. There was no change with the HW45. Included with my repair was a chronograph print out from Protek with a ten shot string and all the shots were in the 5.5 ftlb region. I then put my CP1 over it averaging 425 fps approximately 3.4 ftlb. Again the output from this gun should be considerably higher. Now I'm starting to ask questions. I then ran my S510 over it and it came out at 11 ftlb. The trouble is that I'm not sure what this actually should be but again it's a gun not properly run in yet.

So two guns under performing in comparison to manufactures specs. One of which has been returned and supposedly fixed checked and sent back.
Is my Chrony alpha out of calibration? It's stored in a hot conservatory (probably not ideal) and it is close to twenty years old (although it hasn't had loads of use). If it is out of calibration is there anyone who can do this sort of work? A quick trip around the net seem to indicate that the company 'Shooting Chrony' is no more.
I really don't want to splurge on another so any ideas from the floor about fixing it would be appreciated.

Checking it with chronos from gun shops and fellow club members are of course not an option owing to covid.

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Alpha Chrony problems

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:43 am

not familiar with your chronograph.what power source? if it is battery powered, start with a change of battery.

no avatar
davidjamesinc

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:27 pm

It is a battery operated unit but the battery is a new one.

no avatar
gary martin

Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:19 pm

the next logical question is what pellets were the test chrono results achieved with and what did you use for your test?

Blackbaronfish

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Are you using natural light. Fluorescent can be problematic and led ok most of the time. I use Pygmy bulbs with a defused cover.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started