shooting UP or DOWN, expert backs me up!

james79

Re: shooting UP or DOWN, expert backs me up!

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:15 pm

I don't know about anybody else's experience but where I shoot and with the rifle, ammo etc I use the angle of the shot makes a difference to me! In the farm yard there is a tall sitty tree (id guess about 80/90ft)and I've lasered the top as being about 25 yards away from a wall I can rest on. Past experience has taught me that with my 30 yard zero if I aim about an inch low I get a perfect head shot on pigeon every time (aiming just behind the eye), if I don't think to factor this in I miss over the top or occasionally just clip the top (which does the job admittedly) :( That's my personal experience and I have also had a bit of a look on chairgun as well and their reckoning mirrors my personal experience :) Mr t doe may well be right in some circumstances but I think a lot depends on the ranges you shoot and the angles involved, there's a big difference between a target 20 yards away at a 15° inclination as opposed to a 30 yarder at 45° ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
poguemahone

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:13 pm

wastrel wrote:
eboswan wrote:terry doe how can you believe a word that comes out of that guys mouth...he is/was the editor in Chief for Air Gunner and Airgun World magazines.never reviewed a bad rifle....ever :lol: :lol:

c`mon Ebo, give me credit. despite what you think of him, he`s a life long airgunner, & he aint reviewing a gun!
& POI doesn`t change aiming up or down!

the poi DOES change, and i've watched the video 6 times now, and each times he clearly says that it DOES change.
when he says ''its exactly the same'', he means that it makes no difference shooting up or down, if the angle is the same, then the holdunder will be the same.
heres a question for you si, if you shoot up or down at 90 degrees how much holdunder do you need at your chosen zero ???????

Raj

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:02 am

poguemahone wrote:heres a question for you si, if you shoot up or down at 90 degrees how much holdunder do you need at your chosen zero ???????

I remember asking this question on the old AAOC. I even suggested that shooting 90 degrees down (aiming at a target from the top of a building) would be the easiest way to prove the point. :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
steve cartledge

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:06 am

Look, at small angles (up or down) there is no real change but the steeper you shoot then gravity has less and less effect on the TRAJECTORY of the pellet. If it were possible to shoot with the barrel vertically (and ignoring other things) the pellet would go straight up and then straight down. So for higher elevations aim low.

Steve C.

Andy-K2

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:32 pm

:roll:
Last edited by Andy-K2 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever""Whenever" The codes of friendship.
Be kinder than necessary, every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

TX200 Mk3 .177 (of course) Hawke EV 3-9x50 MAP6. TBT.
HW100T .177 Hawke Sidewinder 30 SF 3-12x50 1/2 Milldot

no avatar
lanky mk

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:58 pm

I've watched the video and the expert doesn't back you up.

If the expert did actually back you up, the expert would be wrong.

Mark

no avatar
lanky mk

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:07 pm

How much you compensate for angle will depend on distance your shooting and what angle.

Brian samson did the maths for FT worlds once (Germany i think) as he expected alot of high angle shots. Now with FT he had a high rail which, granted, magnified the amount but the fact remains, the p.o.i will shift (even if as your expert said a tiny amount) it still shifts.

Interestly Brian came up with the "15 rule" while doing the research. Basically anything upto 15 degrees or upto 15 yards, the p.o.i change is so small, don't bother to adjust.

Mark

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:10 pm

POI changes with angle. when shooting upward or downward the POI will be higher than for a shot at same range taken in the horizontal plane. it can be worked out via chairgun. only comes into real effect on steep angles. in general i only start to take any sort of action ie shoot lower into target zone or dial a few clicks less on turret. i am under the impression it is to do with the scope angle. the scope is angled slightly downward so a crossover between sightline and boreline cross at some point determined by your zero range. the angle amplifies the effect.
Gary.
Last edited by gary martin on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raj

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Good point, Mark. The height of the mounts makes a big difference - I noticed that I needed to account for inclined shots less when I changed to low mounts.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

eddie666

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:15 pm

gravity is constant .
as we sight in on a horizontal plain say 25yrds we are shooting across gravity your pellet will be a set speed on impact.
shooting up against gravity will slow the speed , shooting down with gravity will give you your max speed your rifle can give .
at 35yrds you would not notice , a side light wind would do more harm to your shot,
the speed difference may only be 0.5 fps on a pellet off 800 fps
prosport 177 2015 walnut
tx200 .22 1998 mk2
walther lgv comp ultra 1.77 2014
walther lgu .22 2014