Overfilling

no avatar
Chaz 243

Overfilling

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 am

I just got my cylinder back from being hydrostatic tested and refilled (300 bar).only needed a small top up but the knob was stiff and when it did open it shot up to 230 and something went ping ....then the filling loop depressurising just leaked ..in panic I removed the quick release (brass )female part and wham ...big rush of air ..Any ideas on which seal may have gone. It seems the one way valve wasn't holding back ......hope I ve not done the cylinder .how will I know .Live quite close to air arms factory so could pop down for bits very greatfull for any help folks ...

Raj

Re: Overfilling

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:20 am

Hi Chaz
Not sure what rifle you have but the S400s and the S500s have a built in safety feature which will cause the air cylinder on the rifle to bulge out rather than keep the pressure in and explode. the pinging noise could be the metal giving way. Please check.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Chaz 243

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:32 am

Ah cheers..Raj.
Stripped it down and vernier calipered the cylinder and it was spot on parallel .reassembled the filling valve with new rings . Cocked the rifle S510 BTW and it took a fill up to 190 bar ..very odd but think I just let too much air in too quicky .Apparently they are tested to 250 bar so a narrow escape cheers

Raj

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Good news! You are a lucky man to have got off lightly indeed! :-).
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"