s200 bolt blowback help please

no avatar
Falconhoof

s200 bolt blowback help please

Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 am

Hello everyone I'm a newbie to the forum having just purchased a s200 for my son.
Its his first pcp so I managed to find a cheapie just to make sure he is going to develop an interest. Anyways, on purchasing the s200 it seemed fine apart from needing a good clean up. We took it to the range and then to my horror it developed a problem with the bolt 'backfiring' so to speak. It shoots ok if you keep a thumb over the bolt but if you don't it lifts itself then fires back. The bolt seems to lock into place when its pushed forward and down, its when its fired the problem arises.
I'm not sure if its mk1 or 2 I'll check that out.
The bolt is metal with a cheap looking plastic handle. Handle is held onto bolt with a rear split nut affair (mk2?)

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated

no avatar
devonhunter

Re: s200 bolt blowback help please

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:05 am

dont know much about the s200's but i had a similar problem inside my s410 the roll pin to hold the bolt firmly had sheared off.

i expect raj will be here too help soon he is s200 king 8-)
AA S410 .22 LH walnut stock MTC viper 10x44 harris 1A2-H bipod

raygun

Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:13 am

There's a few of things you can look at.

On the top of the block, over the bolt shaft there should be a grubscrew. Under the screw should be a spring and a ball bearing. Check all these are in position. The ball should sit in an ident in the shaft to stop the "jump" you are seeing. You can make the ident slightly deeper, increase the strength of the spring or try just screwing the screw in more.

Fit a metal bolt handle. This will also stop the "jump" you see.

You could also feed an "O" ring over the bolt handle onto the bolt shaft. This should be of sufficient size to be not too loose on the shaft but be big enough to slightly compress when you close the bolt.

ATB
Ray.

Raj

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:32 pm

What Ray said .... Also, check the integrity of the bolt probe o-ring while you are at it. :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Falconhoof

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:07 am

Cheers lads that all makes perfect sense now. I'm going to order a new bolt handle to replace that horrible plastic thing and maybe use a tiny dab of locktight on that dodgy nut as that was loose aswell.
This is our first S200 so still a little tentative about things but how easy are they to do basic maintenance on? I'm thinking along the lines of removing the barrel and cylinder to blue and replace the seals (definitely the pellet probe seal)

Thanks to all for taking the time to read or answer my post. Its embarrassingly simple when someone points you in the right direction :oops:

raygun

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 am

If you've got the rifle handbook you will have all you need to know to strip it.

The S200 is a fantastic rifle and probably the best value for money you can get. Superbly accurate and it's only shortcoming is the lowish number of shots per fill.

If you've a digital camera take loads of pics as you strip it. You can then check for assembly order on rebuild.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
carnivore

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:16 pm

I bought a BSA R-10 that blew the bolt back because it was overpower. A trip to XTX Air sorted that. It's unlikely in this instance but perhaps worth checking for.
There is an excellent strip-down video for the S200 on U tube (sic) which you could download to replay as you often as you like. It claims to be a strip and tune but there is no 'tune'.

When your S200 is working properly it will be a joy to shoot. Mine is.