Reborn AIRARMS owner

no avatar
tapps

Reborn AIRARMS owner

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:23 pm

well i finally done the deal,i part exchanged a leaking hw100kt in .22 for a brand new airarms S410F walnut thumbhole carbine in .177,the s410 was £925 plus £49.99 for the airarms silencer,i managed to get what i thought was a fair price for the hw100 so done the deal, my brother had one of these a while ago & had great result's from it.out of the box it looked tiny, much better with a scope & silencer fitted,i've yet to drill the stock for the QD stud's, not looking forward to doing that at all.as for the stock i'm tempted not to oil it, although i have PARKER-HALE walnut oil infront of me,i'm tempted to apply TRADE SECRET G.P. wax polish rather than oiling it !!!
or leave it as it is.as for the sportsmatch medium mount's they fitted a treat with my hawke eclipse 6-24x50 side focus scope,i have approx 5mm clearance from the magazine & about 7mm clearance from the barrel.as it's a bit on the windy side i'm not going to zero the scope in today, looking forward to using it. :D

no avatar
tapps

Re: Reborn AIRARMS owner

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 pm

would you bother cleaning the barrel prior to use, how many shots can i expect from this from a 190BAR fill.

no avatar
Zed.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:11 pm

tapps wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 pm
would you bother cleaning the barrel prior to use, how many shots can i expect from this from a 190BAR fill.
I always clean barrels on new guns, even on new-secondhand guns but expect about 100 pellets to be everywhere before the barrel 'leads' and accuracy improves :)

Rich.
Bleugh!

it is my firm belief that people who declare they have a 'bigger signature than' someone are trying to make up for something else :lol:

Blackbaronfish

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:25 pm

You will sure find a heap of crap come out of the new barrel. Give it a good scrub and pull through.
To get the barrel to settle down may take at least a tin. Choose a pellet you think will work like AAField, and stick with them. Don’t go chopping and changing as you will be chasing your tail.
Good luck.... you won’t need it

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
tapps

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:38 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:25 pm
You will sure find a heap of crap come out of the new barrel. Give it a good scrub and pull through.
To get the barrel to settle down may take at least a tin. Choose a pellet you think will work like AAField, and stick with them. Don’t go chopping and changing as you will be chasing your tail.
Good luck.... you won’t need it

BBF
i've ordered a napier airgun pull through kit,i also have VFG cleaning pellets,i will stick to using AA field (4.52) i have about 14 tin's in my gun cabinet.i had an airarms s410 a few years ago, wish i never sold it hence the new one.fed up with leaking HW 100's,i have found a BISLEY air rifle cleaning kit in my gun cupboard would this be ok to use on the s410 barrel.

Blackbaronfish

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Yes that would be fine. One you have given it a good clean and leaded up, you will only need one pull through when accuracies arise.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
rob2hook

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Listening to others talking about barrel cleaning and leading at our club, plus many, many comments on various forums it seems that generally the hammer forged Weihrauch barrels respond to regular cleaning but then need to be re-leaded. The LW barrels used on most AA guns I presume to be broached, giving them a much smoother surface finish. Yes, clean all the storage grease out of a new barrel but you will likely see groups tighten very quickly once you use it and it will not need cleaning again until the groups begin to open out. That will probably be after several tins of pellets.

Like you, I started with some old stock of AADF 4.52 and have found no reason to change. I'm just dreading having to find as good a pellet batch when this sleeve runs out!

Rob

no avatar
tonyc

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 pm

rob2hook wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm
The LW barrels used on most AA guns I presume to be broached, giving them a much smoother surface finish. Yes, clean all the storage grease out of a new barrel but you will likely see groups tighten very quickly once you use it and it will not need cleaning again until the groups begin to open out.
LW barrels are button rifled but you are right about the smoother finish than hammer forged barrels... and after the initial thorough clean mine haven't needed much subsequent cleaning or much re-leading.

Initial pulls through with patches dampened with white spirit until the patches come out clean, then one with Napier VP90 followed by one dry patch. Subsequent cleans with VP90 pull through, then leave at that if being put into storage or pull through with a dry patch if in use.