AADF 16g v JSB RS 13.43

no avatar
Roger5

AADF 16g v JSB RS 13.43

Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:45 pm

Any one done a comparison test , not able to test on range at moment because of C V
Put the RS over the chrono, 10 shots 600 - 603fps at 130bar, so pretty consistent
Obviously more interested in accuracy though.
Both pellets are 5.52. Rog

no avatar
tonyc

Re: AADF 16g v JSB RS 13.43

Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi Rog.

I can't offer any info on either as all my testing is on .177. What I would say though, you perhaps could tell us what gun you are using as this is likely to have some bearing on the result.

Apart from the typical differences between PCPs and springers there are, I think, a number of factors which will influence the relative power - e.g. barrel length and reg pressure - but the main factors affecting accuracy don't have much direct correlation with power. The exceptions, as far as I can say from my testing are as follows. These are my observations; I'm not claiming they are definitive... more a matter for debate, so feel free to disagree or prove otherwise.

(1) For a given JSB-manufactured pellet (e.g. 8.44gr) the fastest die numbers aren't usually the most accurate.
(2) In a springer, for a given lead composition (e.g. comparing all JSB, or all H&N) the type (e.g. Express) that give the optimum power usually give, or contain batches which give, the best groups.

The second point (2) may need a bit of explanation. Generally, as pellet weight reduces, springer power increases but often there is a weight below which power reduces. The peak is dependent on what the gun is tuned for, either by intervention or by "design" (as manufactured). My thinking is the two extremes of pellet weight will produce a harsher cycle (affecting grouping) and loss of efficiency (through piston slam or bounce).

I'll not give any more details at this stage but happy to share more if anyone is interested in how/why I've reached these conclusions.

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi Tony, hope your keeping well, this is one of my TDRs was just looking to see if anyone had experience of the JSB RS 13.43 as opposed to the 16g AADF, they are fine over the chrono, obviously faster, so bit flatter trajectory, which is what I am looking for, whether they hit any harder is another thing, but interested more in the accuracy, don't have a lot of distance from living room to bathroom, but as expected pellet on pellet at that range
3 mag focused at 10yds
This only came about because I'd started using them in an HW95 and thought I'd give them a try, they work fine in the 95 in which previously , I'd only used Hobbys. Stay safe. Rog

no avatar
Falconhoof

Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 pm

I've always found the JSB 15.9 or their Air Arms variant to be a lot more consistent than the lighter .22 pellets. The lighter pellets are great for closing up your aim points but shoot them into wind (especially a head wind) and they are a lot more unpredictable.