Dialing for elevation.

no avatar
RichieRich612

Dialing for elevation.

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 pm

Hello guys and girls. Who here dials for elevation using the turret instead of holding over or under using the reticle?
What scopes are good for this?
I've been using Strelok for a rough guide and it seems pretty accurate.
Dialed 16moa for a 80 yard target and was half an inch high which isn't bad.
Obviously strelok only gives a rough guide and proper range time will be needed to perfect the values.
I'm using a Hawke Varmint sf 4x12x44 and returns to zero fine, even after dialing 34 and a half moa for a 115 yard target.
Richie

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Dialing for elevation.

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Its been 20 years but I used elevation clicks and a table taped to the stock. Table generated on the sighting range. Using a big scope on max magnification allowed range finding by focus. Combine the two gives accurate ranging. Only held over for windage.
This was FT. Never shot a bunny in my life. Different situation.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:05 am

I thought that might generate more discussion but I would have thought hold-over is a more used technique in vermin hunting where by the time you’ve faffed around with focussing your 30x and consulted the chart the rat has beggered off. It’s easier to set up a 4-9x at 25 yd and hold over. (Or even open sights)
I guess if you're sitting in a hide looking at feeding bunnies you have more choice.

no avatar
RichieRich612

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:05 am
I thought that might generate more discussion but I would have thought hold-over is a more used technique in vermin hunting where by the time you’ve faffed around with focussing your 30x and consulted the chart the rat has beggered off. It’s easier to set up a 4-9x at 25 yd and hold over. (Or even open sights)
I guess if you're sitting in a hide looking at feeding bunnies you have more choice.
Yes Peter I would use dialing for ambush shooting mainly. After years of using hold-over and hold-under for hunting I want to try something different. Having the crosshairs on the target at all ranges is something new and satisfying once you've dialed in the elevation and held off the correct windage.
Richard

no avatar
tonyc

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:18 pm

I use hold over/under for hunting and (some) dialing for targets. Turret adjustment for changing zero range and compensating for changing pellets is something else I do for hunting. But true dialing I only use for targets, and only with scopes that have the same reticle and turret graduations. Can't fathom why so many scopes are made with mil dot reticles but MOA turrets! :roll:

no avatar
RichieRich612

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:03 pm

tonyc wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:18 pm
I use hold over/under for hunting and (some) dialing for targets. Turret adjustment for changing zero range and compensating for changing pellets is something else I do for hunting. But true dialing I only use for targets, and only with scopes that have the same reticle and turret graduations. Can't fathom why so many scopes are made with mil dot reticles but MOA turrets! :roll:
I think mil-dot reticle and moa turrets are a way of giving someone the option of using either method, dialing and holding over/under using the mil dots.

no avatar
RichieRich612

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Took a magpie last night at 80 yards, dialled in 16 moa and dropped like a sack of potatoes.
Dialling does work, even with non regulated rifles.
Just have to operate strictly within the sweet spot and find using a chrono.
Mines pretty low at 155 bar using the mpr ft due to the way I've balanced it and gives me 30 really consistent shots before filling again to 155.

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:06 pm

i dial for elevation. my sport is FT.

no avatar
RichieRich612

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:30 pm

gary martin wrote:
I bet your scope costs more than my whole shooting setup haha.
And for what?
Most ft shooters are gear tarts, fashion over purpose.
I'm using an old Hawke Varmint sf on 10x mag for 80 yard kills consistently, think about that next time your at an ft comp seeing 3000 pound scopes.

no avatar
gary martin

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm

RichieRich612 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:30 pm
gary martin wrote:
I bet your scope costs more than my whole shooting setup haha.
And for what?
Most ft shooters are gear tarts, fashion over purpose.
I'm using an old Hawke Varmint sf on 10x mag for 80 yard kills consistently, think about that next time your at an ft comp seeing 3000 pound scopes.
wow what's all this about ? i just responded to a post. Why should i think about your setup at my next comp? great, i am impressed. Gear tarts! i shoot a springer with a secondhand scope, if thats a gear tart so what! that's my thing. Maybe you have some kind of inferiority complex that you need to boast of your consistent long range kills with minimal equipment. Empty vessels and noise.