Dialing for elevation.

no avatar
RichieRich612

Re: Dialing for elevation.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:10 pm

Outandabout wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm
Not wanting to hijack this thread but I only shoot vermin and regularly take rabbits, and when it was allowed crows, magpies etc at 50 yards. I know I can and I am confident enough to take these shots. Rats are a different ball game for me - 20 yards average ha ha. I know my limits.
I also like stalking, so a lot of rabbits I take, are down to 20 yards.
You must know you can and are confident enough to take 80 yard shots. However I personally wouldn't take an 80 yard shot. What is your kill ratio at these ranges.
I think if anyone is confident and capable of hitting the target at that distance then crack on and good shooting.
Kevin
Nice to hear your input, certainly not hijacked haha.
I too like to stalk as close as possible but sometimes it's impossible due to open fields and no cover between you and the bird. Rabbits are easy to stalk as you can get down low and almost become invisible to them if you're quiet and slow stalking.
Birds perched on buildings and trees have the upper hand literally!
Watch the video link I posted in my previous comment, that's out to 100 with a sub 12ft/lb .177 so yes accurate shot placement can be done out to 80 yards as long as you do the work.
Pellet sorting helps too, I group mine using a micro scale so each pellet is exactly the same weight.
You'd be surprised at how bad a tin of jsb diabolo is for weight consistency.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:31 pm

RichieRich612 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:00 pm

https://youtu.be/qWFTdT_G6Sg
Maybe I should try FT then as I doubt many could do this either in those conditions.
It's an old video but I've had 9 years more practice since then ;)
Nice group but you missed the target by a beak’s length, That is too big a group for a sure humane kill, even prorated down to 80 yards and even if it was on target.
If Maggie is more than 30 yards away, maybe let it fly another day.

no avatar
RichieRich612

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:03 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:31 pm
RichieRich612 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:00 pm

https://youtu.be/qWFTdT_G6Sg
Maybe I should try FT then as I doubt many could do this either in those conditions.
It's an old video but I've had 9 years more practice since then ;)
Nice group but you missed the target by a beak’s length, That is too big a group for a sure humane kill, even prorated down to 80 yards and even if it was on target.
If Maggie is more than 30 yards away, maybe let it fly another day.
If you read the comments I wasn't trying to hit the bullseye, that was just an aim point.

no avatar
rob2hook

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:48 am

Rather late in the day, but I got thinking about the original question... I only shoot targets on a range (so far) and generally find that a 25 yd zero allows me to hit the kill zone on drop down targets from 10 - 30 yds without recourse to holdover (S400 in .177). However, if I move onto the 55yd range, then I go to a max 2 mildot holdover and it becomes critical that the magnification is set to 10x or the mildots are no longer correctly scaled. On this basis, I can see some advantage to dialling, but then if you're doing HFT you wouldn't be allowed to do this and 10x mag is too much for closer targets. I guess I need to do some recalculation of holdover/under on about 6x.

Rob

no avatar
RichieRich612

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:41 pm

rob2hook wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:48 am
Rather late in the day, but I got thinking about the original question... I only shoot targets on a range (so far) and generally find that a 25 yd zero allows me to hit the kill zone on drop down targets from 10 - 30 yds without recourse to holdover (S400 in .177). However, if I move onto the 55yd range, then I go to a max 2 mildot holdover and it becomes critical that the magnification is set to 10x or the mildots are no longer correctly scaled. On this basis, I can see some advantage to dialling, but then if you're doing HFT you wouldn't be allowed to do this and 10x mag is too much for closer targets. I guess I need to do some recalculation of holdover/under on about 6x.

Rob
Or buy a first focal plane scope like I've done. Falcon s18i