BKL mount size?

no avatar
RichieRich612

BKL mount size?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello guys would a low Bkl mount be ok to fit a 50mm Mtc Viper to an Air Arms s400f or would I be better with medium mounts?
No gunstore near me sells bkl mounts so I can't go and check, just order online.
Richard

no avatar
Napalmzxr750

Re: BKL mount size?

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi Richard.

Copied and pasted from BKL's FAQs:

"How do I determine if I need Low, Medium or High rings for my Scope/Rifle Combo
We recommend the following:

for 1" Scope Tubes with an Objective Diameter of 44mm or less you will need a medium height mount
for 1" Scope Tubes with an Obective Diameter of 44mm or greater you will need a high mount

for 30mm Scope Tubes with an Objective Diameter of 55mm or less you will need a Low Mount
for 30mm Scope Tubes with an Objective Diameter of 55mm or greater you will need a Medium Mount"

Bear in mind the shape and where any step is on your receiver though. I just put an Airmax Compact 6-24x50 on my Pro Sport, and I went for "medium" BKL601 mounts, the higher option. I'm playing it safe now, as my scope rails are cut into the tubular receiver part way down, and I'm allowing room for the lip of my scope caps (already marked my beautiful blueing this way).

I've got BKLs on my FTP900 too, they're lovely. Hawke mounts in particular don't line the scope up well, and look really poorly designed, the smaller clamp piece on the right hand side looks like an afterthought. When I first mounted the Airmax with those I had to use most of the adjustment just to get anywhere near the impact point.

Uttings seem to be pretty decent for price, check on Optics Warehouse too. Some models are out of stock at one or the other.

Cheers,

Nathan

no avatar
Archer50

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:05 am

Hi Richard.

Unless you need to get clearance for something like a magazine or after-market loader, the BKL 'low' mount should be fine for a 50mm scope on an S400. The 30mm BKL 'low' mounts are 2mm higher than the 30mm Sportsmatch 'medium', so you might be able to find a Sportsmatch to check.

Alan

no avatar
tonyc

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Archer50 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:05 am
Unless you need to get clearance for something like a magazine or after-market loader, the BKL 'low' mount should be fine for a 50mm scope on an S400.
I agree.

I wouldn't use a medium mount as the line of sight would be too high for good cheek contact (and I like my scopes quite high). The tube will clear a Rowan mag but the turret housing won't unless you take a sliver off the top of the Rowan adaptor, which is possible.