Shooting range and rabbits

no avatar
Roger5

Shooting range and rabbits

Fri May 17, 2019 1:37 pm

I shoot rabbits very close to a .22 lr target range, now I don't eat or sell the rabbits from here, because of worries about lead contamination of the land, and how this might effect the meat, just wondering if I'm being over cautious? Any thoughts appreciated cheer's Rog

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Shooting range and rabbits

Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Roger5 wrote:
I shoot rabbits very close to a .22 lr target range, now I don't eat or sell the rabbits from here, because of worries about lead contamination of the land, and how this might effect the meat, just wondering if I'm being over cautious? Any thoughts appreciated cheer's Rog
Yes,no offence rog your 71 :) old age will get you before lead poisoning :mrgreen:
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Roger5

Fri May 17, 2019 3:25 pm

eboswan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm
Roger5 wrote:
Yes,no offence rog your 71 :) old age will get you before lead poisoning :mrgreen:
Yes your probably right, I'm still laying in horse shit sniping rabbits though, but in reality not so worried about myself, more about putting them into the food chain

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm

With all the e numbers and preservatives and unknown chemicals in our food I wouldn't worry about it.
S200. .177

Blackbaronfish

Sat May 18, 2019 8:56 am

I wouldn’t eat them as they would contain lead. You could offer them to ferret owners or wildlife centres.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sat May 18, 2019 7:02 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:56 am
I wouldn’t eat them as they would contain lead. You could offer them to ferret owners or wildlife centres.

BBF
Of course there is lead in them otherwise they would still be alive :mrgreen:
S200. .177

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun May 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Eating game with lead shot in is what made our aristocracy what it is today.

Blackbaronfish

Sun May 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Yes total loonies

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
tonyc

Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm

I'm thinking there is probably a risk, but an extremely low one. The lead has to be either eaten directly or ingested after chemical reaction puts the lead in solution that cane be absorbed by plants.

To put it in perspective, for many decades the UK population was exposed to lead in water supplies as most houses were connected to the mains by lead pipes, so lead was ingested on a daily basis. Exposure levels were low because lead is relatively inert so not readily dissolved. Soft (acidic) water areas would have been worse than hard (alkaline) water areas. In contact with stronger acids (stomach acids for example) the dissolution and toxicity is much greater.

The rabbits would have to be eating grass where lead has leached into groundwater and taken up by plants. The risk would be higher in areas where there is acidic pollution in the air (acid rain) or acidic soils. If the range uses backstops or is de-leaded (as military ranges are) the risk is reduced.

Have you considered the possibility of run-off from lead roofs, or roofs with lead flashing? The next question is, can you eat rabbits that live near churches, or other buildings?

no avatar
Roger5

Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi Tony, the range that the rabbits frequent has never been cleaned/de-leaded in the last Sixty years of use, there are no catchers and bullets are allowed to go straight into the earth berm, which is the reason l won't eat or sell them. By the way, the TDR is doing a very good job of clearing the rabbits, 15 at the last count, wish I'd bought one of these years ago, brilliant little rifle. Rog