Forest green touch up

no avatar
Gazmondo

Forest green touch up

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 am

Hi all
I've got a S510TC with the superlight stock in forest green, while it's a nice stock it is also very soft and easily damaged.
I have been in touch with both AA and Minelli with no success as to what stain or lacquer they use so that I can get some for touching up.
Anybody know of anything that's a close match.
Gaz

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Forest green touch up

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:53 am

Probably acrylic, If you have no luck you could try a model shop who doesn't mind you taking your rifle in. They have tinlets (usually acrylic) in dozens of colours you can mix and match. You can thin with water to get a transparent effect if its that green stained stock.

(Our town has a model shop that sells airguns!)

no avatar
Gazmondo

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks Peter
Yes that's a good idea re model shop, it is indeed the green stained stock that looks transparent.
If I can't find anything I may end up doing the whole stock a different colour as I now prefer the brown stocks instead of the green.

Blackbaronfish

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 am

Just take the stock to the shop as there’s no need to take the rifle :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Gazmondo

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:08 pm

Yes, I had thought of erring on the side of caution, in today's climate knowing my luck the Swatt squad would be paying a visit within 5 minutes.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:33 pm

I tried refinishing my S400 MPR Precision "Poplar" stock. First problem was getting the finish out of the heat pressed grip (I wouldn't call it chequering) Modern nitromors would not touch the acrylic, and I was unable to get the real stuff without a trade licence.
I finished up sanding the grips right off. :shock:
Secondly after the finish was removed the crappy wood was all shades of brown. It was covered up by their milky white lacquer more akin to emulsion paint than varnish. I should have guessed after the grip started to wear through blue/brown.
Hopefully the green stain lacquer is easier to get off but be aware its a massive job.

no avatar
Gazmondo

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:34 am

I take your point about the lacquer removal Peter, there is a guy on the "airgunforum" that refinishes stocks, I may get in touch with him and let him do it.

no avatar
billywhizz

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:26 pm

when I had my a/a 510,i picked up a s/hand beech stock ,paint stripped it and then sanded it. I got a some emerald green stain from a Worcester based guitar refinishing shop and also some spray laquer , with a sanded nicely finnished stock I then put the stain on with a nonfluffy cloth and wiped it over a couple of times until I got the depth of colour I wanted,once dry light sand and then laquer sprayed ,light sand and repeat as many times as you like until your happy with the depth of sheen. it wasn't very difficult too do and was a fun job . I was very happy with it, those that saw it said it looked like a pro job!!! everything is subjective. I sold it and the guy that bought it was really happy with the finnish. give it a try what you got too loose?.

no avatar
Gazmondo

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Interesting thoughts BillyWhizz and thanks for your experience with refinishing your stock.
I would love to give it a go but without any experience in stock refinishing I would rather have a practice at something that didn't matter first, especially as I am not sure how well Poplar takes stain compared to Walnut and Beech.
Quite honestly I fancy a change of colour from green to something like a walnut colour that is easier to maintain.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Its a bit like deal if its poplar (didnt know the green ones were poplar)
We’ve had one snap on the pistol grip. Depends which way the grain goes and how tight the hidden screw is.