Breech seals

no avatar
Gazmondo

Breech seals

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:19 am

Hi all
Has anyone come up with an easy way to replace breech seals in the S410/510 series
I ended up removing the barrel but that in itself caused problems, I went through 6 external barrel seals as they were getting damaged when re-inserting the barrel.

no avatar
Archer50

Re: Breech seals

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Don't take the barrel off! Get a length of 4mm dowel, push it in from the muzzle until it is just behind the groove that holds the o-ring, then fiddle the o-ring in with a broken cocktail stick and an Allen key. The dowel makes a back stop, the break makes the cocktail stick much better for manoeuvring the seal, and you use the Allen key to hold the seal in the groove. Much more difficult to describe than to do! The first time I tried it I finished up screaming and took something like 45 minutes. Now I can usually do it first time, in seconds, with or without the dowel. Usually ....... :?

Good luck

Alan

no avatar
Gazmondo

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:21 pm

Cheers Alan, I was thinking of using my brass cleaning rods in a similar fashion, though wooden dowel sounds better. This all came about while trying to track down a POI shift, I took the barrel band off to float the barrel and that cured it, except that without the band the barrel points slightly down, the band seems to push the barrel up by a couple of mm. Hence the reason for taking the barrel off to inspect.

Thanks
Gaz

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 am

FT guys tend to float the barrel for accuracy.
If on the other hand you are hacking through the woods or round the barns looking for vermin you might want to have the protection that the barrel band gives. Plus you can correct sideways misalignment. Just a thought.

no avatar
Archer50

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm

I've tried floating S-series barrels, but in my opinion the 10mm barrels are simply not rigid enough and I got unacceptable, totally unpredictable, POI shift from them flopping around - quite apart from what a light tap on a tree can do. I realised how flexible they are when, almost as a joke, I tried to straighten one over my knee. instead of using a jig - and it worked :shock:

Good shooting

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Archer50 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm
I've tried floating S-series barrels, but in my opinion the 10mm barrels are simply not rigid enough and I got unacceptable, totally unpredictable, POI shift from them flopping around - quite apart from what a light tap on a tree can do. I realised how flexible they are when, almost as a joke, I tried to straighten one over my knee. instead of using a jig - and it worked :shock:

Good shooting

Alan
Hi Alan, I've floated a couple, both in .177 and .22 and they have been fine, both carbines though, wouldn't bother with a full length barrel, and your right, they are seriously skinny, but I keep the barrel band and just open it up a wee bit. Rog

no avatar
Gazmondo

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Yes I agree the barrel is on the slim side to fully float but on my S510TC the shroud does help in that respect, plus I've gone the same way as Roger5 and kept the band just opening it up to allow the barrel to float but still giving it protection from knocks.