RIFLE CANT

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: RIFLE CANT

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 am

John814ce wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:55 am
Twist rates different in 6ftlb
Mine has the same barrel as 12 ftlb MPR FT (I asked AA why it was black not nickel)

no avatar
poguemahone

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:22 pm

yes john, canting makes a fair difference in my view, particularly in hunting situations ;) canting is the main cause of rats running off after being shot. the rats brain is a very small target, and any cant will result in missing the brain, and a wounding shot. have a look at some of the rat shooting vids on youtube, theres some proper knobsplashes pulling the trigger, with the crosshairs waving about, and gun canted. if they'd hold the xhairs steady and not cant the gun, they wouldnt have to post on airgun websites, spouting that roundhead pellets dont have enough stopping power, or this or that calibre isnt up to the job :lol: :lol:
shooting on sloping ground catches even the best shooter out with canting, as the sight picture in the scope on this terrain gives the illusion that everythings level, when in fact you're canting the gun by a mile :oops: :oops: :oops:
when zeroing/plinking, shoot at a vertical line drawn on a card, then deliberately cant the gun slightly and see the difference ;) ;) ;)

no avatar
John814ce

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:38 am

Cheers, i think some shooters seem to think its the gun what needs to be level when in fact its the ret , and the only true way to do this is useing a plumb line and a scope level, even if you hold your gun with a slight cant once you set that ret to the line and adjust the level thats it from that day forward your ret will always be level as long as the scope level stays tightened on there.

Blackbaronfish

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:10 am

John814ce wrote:
Cheers, i think some shooters seem to think its the gun what needs to be level when in fact its the ret , and the only true way to do this is useing a plumb line and a scope level, even if you hold your gun with a slight cant once you set that ret to the line and adjust the level thats it from that day forward your ret will always be level as long as the scope level stays tightened on there.
Both need to be level or you will introduce your own can’t.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Blackbaronfish

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:11 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:10 am
John814ce wrote:
Both need to be level or you will introduce your own cant.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
John814ce

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:12 am

I think your mistaken, you can hold your rifle how you like and how it fits your position and then adjustment to be made to the ret to correspond with the plumb line then set the scope level..... think about it how does the gun know it level when the barrel muzzel is round. See richard uttings on you tube " discuss anti cant bubbles from Holland vortex etc." Fast forward to around 4.50 mins.

no avatar
John814ce

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:37 pm

An example..... take your scope completely off then turn and hold your gun upside down/sideways are anyways you want, then fire it, how do you think the pellet will fly? Its the scope level you look at once you've set it to correspond with the ret which as been plumb lined, dont buy or use the scope mount levels nor rifle levels your wasting your time. You need a scope level. I use a vortex 34mm level from optics warehouse cost about £40.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:24 pm

I presume you mean you set the reticule to a plumb line by rotating the whole scope so the vertical and windage turrets are truly plumb also. They would need to be plumb to the earth.

Yes I agree, a pellet flies in a parabolic path in a vertical plane. It doesnt fly canted with the rifle.

If in extremis the rifle was canted over at 90 degrees, vertical turret clicks or mil dots could be determined for 20, 30, 40 yards as usual. However there would need to be a very small windage adjustment too. In theory that is.
In practice, with say a 10 degree cant, using the scope level and only vertical adjustment should be near enough to hit a kill IF the reticule and turrets are plumb.

PS at 10m we only shoot one distance (bleedin obvious) so once set up it it sufficient to line up the pins or horizontal bar in the foresight with the target card top edge

Blackbaronfish

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:51 pm

John814ce wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:12 am
I think your mistaken, you can hold your rifle how you like and how it fits your position and then adjustment to be made to the ret to correspond with the plumb line then set the scope level..... think about it how does the gun know it level when the barrel muzzel is round. See richard uttings on you tube " discuss anti cant bubbles from Holland vortex etc." Fast forward to around 4.50 mins.
Yes you are correct but.....
When out shooting you hold the rifle as level as possible and hope that it’s truly horizontal. This in turn reduces cant. Unless you keep looking at a bubble.

BBF

no avatar
John814ce

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Ye my bubble is in my left eye line and yes the ret is true to the earth/dead straight and the scope bubble is perfectly centred, thats why its a complete waste of money buying a on the mounts level or on the gun level.